1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT personal statement after completing 1 term

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ckaur123, Jan 27, 2018.

1. ckaur123

ckaur123 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm posting this thread because I could really do with some advice! I am part way through my second term as an NQT. Long story short I have made a not so easy decision to resign. I have spoken to my HT about this. My reasons for resigning is because I haven’t really had the best of starts at my current school having not met the teach standards satisfactory - despite having good observations and no prior warning that I was ‘failing’. During the end of term 1 before the Christmas holidays I was told I was going to be moved out of my class and put into a new year group/class with another teacher. This change hasn’t really benefited me at all - I am not teaching and taking responsibility for the whole class yet - I really don’t see myself meeting the standards satisfactory next term. Having expressed this concern to my DHT – she expressed that there might be a possibility for my NQT year to be extended under the HT discression. However there is no guarantee. I have kept in contact with my union and student services throughout my induction period and they are supporting me in my decision to resign.

I am now on the hunt for jobs! I will have 2 terms left of my NQT year wherever I decide to go. In terms of my personal statement how does that work? I had written one prior to obtaining my NQT post in my current school - but that was all based on my PGCE placements. As I didn’t meet the standards in my first term is it possible for me to still write about how I believe I have met them? I'm really not sure. I don’t believe that I am an inadequate teacher - especially leaving my PGCE with an outstanding. I just dont think that this school has been the right fit for me and the support was not there from the beginning. What do I mention that my reasons for leaving are? How much do I write about my current post in my personal statement? Although I have made the decision to leave my current post – I do not want to leave the teaching career as a whole. Because of what happened to me during the first term I do not feel confident enough that the school will pass me – and I really do not want to risk failing and never having the opportunity to teach again.

annarg likes this.
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Arghhhh this makes me so angry!!!!

1. A decision of 'not meeting the standards' should not come as a surprise - your school is obviously not monitoring and supporting you properly.
    2. 'there might be a possibility for my NQT year to be extended under the HT discression' - it is not the HT's decision as to whether induction is extended, it is the decision of the LA! If you have not already, then please contact the named person at the LA and tell them what's happening.
    3. Moving you to a class that you are not teaching is an example of the school not fulfilling their statutory obligation to you an an NQT, as it does not allow you to meet all standard and therefore pass the NQT.
    4. It is not possible for you to have passed the PGCE, yet currently not be meeting ANY of the standards. There may be some you are struggling with, but not all of them! If you don't know which, then again, an example of your school's inability to assess you.

The school should be ashamed of themselves. You have made the right decision to leave this awful school!

I had a similar NQT experience. When applying for jobs I just glossed over the whole NQT disaster, and stated that I was looking for a school that would support me in completing my NQT year.

Unless they specifically ask on the app, do not say why you are leaving. They can read between the lines. I was very wary when I started my new job, but my mentor told me about the experience of one of her friends - someone in their 50s, who was HOD - so sensible people are very much aware what is happening in other schools. If the app does ask, just state 'I am seeking a school where I will be supported in completing my NQT induction' or similar.

Yes, do write about your strengths on your application - the standards you are meeting, the things you have/are doing well, anything you've done at any of the schools that you are proud of or were involved in.

I was honest at interview - explained that behaviour management was my weakness. The school was prepared to work with me on that, and I was offered the job. It was a maternity cover, so perhaps they were more willing to accept a 'work in progress'. It was the best thing that could have happened to me - that school filed me with confidence, and without it I would have quit teaching.

ckaur123 and annarg like this.
  3. ckaur123

ckaur123 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply! I cannot begin to describe how neglected I have felt at this school and how awfully they have treated me as a member of their staff. I wanted to leave during term 1 but I just kept continuing thinking that my resilience will pay off. When they took me out of my class I just felt like it was the last straw.

‘A decision of 'not meeting the standards' should not come as a surprise - your school is obviously not monitoring and supporting you properly.’

This school is full of surprises! They wrote my report 4 weeks before it was due. When I expressed that I still have 4 weeks to make improvements against the standards they said they were not going to change the report as it had already been written. I asked whether I could discuss the report with the HT and she explained that there is no point as she is not changing it.

‘Moving you to a class that you are not teaching is an example of the school not fulfilling their statutory obligation to you an an NQT, as it does not allow you to meet all standard and therefore pass the NQT.’

Yes! This is what my union also said to me – but because I am on an action plan this is the way that they have thought would be best for me. Like you said how is this supposed to support me in passing? When I have asked this question they never give me a straight answer.

‘It is not possible for you to have passed the PGCE, yet currently not be meeting ANY of the standards. There may be some you are struggling with, but not all of them! If you don't know which, then again, an example of your school's inability to assess you.’

Believe me I have questioned this too. I know I am far from being a perfect teacher but that doesn’t mean I am a bad teacher overall. I am especially struggling with BM – that is one of the areas I did struggle with on PGCE too – I have always expressed this concern to my school - putting me in a new class where they already have a class teacher – hasn’t really helped me improve my BM at all.

‘The school should be ashamed of themselves. You have made the right decision to leave this awful school!’

Thank you! I wish I made the decision a lot sooner but I am so glad that I have made it now. I am also asking for early release so that I can preserve as much induction time as possible.

Thank you for sharing your NQT experience. I am really glad that you found a more supportive school that did not diminish your aspirations of becoming a teacher. It really is awful how many NQTs get treated this way – especially because we all come into the profession keen, hard working, confident and motivated. The amount of threads I have read on TES where NQTs have lost confidence and self-esteem because of a badly supported school is heartbreaking.

Yes, do write about your strengths on your application - the standards you are meeting, the things you have/are doing well, anything you've done at any of the schools that you are proud of or were involved in.

I was honest at interview - explained that behaviour management was my weakness. The school was prepared to work with me on that, and I was offered the job. It was a maternity cover, so perhaps they were more willing to accept a 'work in progress'. It was the best thing that could have happened to me - that school filed me with confidence, and without it I would have quit teaching.

This advice has helped a lot. Thank you for sharing. Fingers crossed!

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Good luck! Hope your remaining few weeks at that miserable place fly by!

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Many NQTs now complete their induction in a different school to the one they started in.
    It can be difficult to turn around peoples perceptions of you as being not up to standard so very often a fresh start is needed.
    You should consider discussing leaving before the second assessment- i.e. February- as remaining would only leave one term of induction and schools would be cautious about whether you could make sufficient progress in just one term. Do consult your union for advice.
    You need to be honest about your experience on any application- what is important is what you have learnt from it.

annarg likes this.