1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT PE Teacher Wanting to Impress....PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by gogojonny, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Mini Olympics sounds a bit Key Stage 1 to me.
    Look at the AVIVA Athletics Award Scheme. They earn points in every event to gain an award. Bit more grown up.

2. OK for the age group you are teaching but not ten weeks! One, maybe two. Ten weeks means major sports to me. Whatever yours is, teach it.
    However, I have no idea what
    ...this nonsense is. Another educational soundbite that beckons me to search for a bucket.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

What are the main aims of the 'PE Boosters'? (I'll have that bucket after you FP)
    Once we know the aims of this it will be more easy (easier?) to give specific relevany ideas.

4. Check out these resources.....

Copy the following link into your browser

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PE-Teaching-Resources-CD-KS3-KS4-GCSE-BTEC-LEVEL-/140561401723?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D566805181441197311#ht_1146wt_1141

Thanks, Mr Mac PE.

5. Thanks for all the help and replies.
    As for the actual aims of the Booster sessions, that is a good question! I haven't been told a lot more. At the school, the current PE is quite traditional and it just needs a bit of freshening up and so I wanted to try something new in these sessions to capture the imagination of the pupils. As I said, it is pretty much down to me what I do in these sessions.
    What I was planning on doing is offering the children as many Olympic activites as possible (dependent on several variables such as facilites, equipment, time of year etc). The pupils are split into small teams that they will stay in for the whole 10 weeks. As a group we pick the top 4 activities to be included in the games. Then for the next 8 weeks we follow the same format: first week practice sport 1 in their teams (learning rules etc.), 2nd week we put the sport into a competition between the teams, then the 3rd week we move onto the 2nd sport and follow the same process etc.
    Points will be scored for where they finish in the competition and also for how organised they are during training and for pupils with kit (more specifically the correct kit!) and so on.
    At the end of the 10 weeks, all the pupils will get certificates with the winning team receiving a medal of some description.
    It is like a simple form of Sport Education and also obviously relates closely to the London Olympics. I was also considering, depending how well it goes, offering it as an extra-curricular activity in the summer term, where pupils can pick their own groups and turn up each week to try a new sport.
    What do people think? I have plenty of time to adapt it and prepare resources etc, was just wondering if people had any ideas on how I could change or even get it started?
    Thanks again.

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

You need to contact the school and find out the exact reason for having 'PE boosters'. Is it whole year groups? Are they selected kids with poor motor skills? Those disengaged from PE / games? Ask the school what the outcome they want is.
    I used to work somewhere where Lesson 1 with Year 9 would be PE and then Lesson 3 would be 'PE options' for those that wanted more PE. The school wanted PE options to be more free choice. But the kids could not understand the difference between the two, and would complain when they were made to take part in a structured PE lesson rather than just go out and play a sport.
    I like Sports Education - and what you've said sounds good. It all depends on the kids - if they are low ability I would prefer the AVIVA atheltics scheme where all the work is individual. Kids need to work on their skills individually before they move into team sports.

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

6 weeks of forward rolls then whatever they want to do! [​IMG]

8. If they are booster lessons for kids who aren't so able, the core skills and fundamentals finishing with games so that they aren't so far behind their peers could work

9. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

If they can't do them then why not? 101 games to play with forward rolls. [​IMG]

10. put all the mats in a row....then get them to do a series of forward rolls until the hit the wall...repeat on way back until hit the other wall.....by week 10 they should be ready for roundoffs.