1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT- Payment Advice

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rdsimpson94, Sep 18, 2019.

1. rdsimpson94

rdsimpson94 New commenter

Hi all,

I've just started my NQT year on a salary of £23,720. However my first payslip has come through at £1,817 (before deductions).

I thought this was about one hundred pounds less than I was expecting, so I multiplied this by 12 and on this monthly payment I would be on £21,804. (Which is obviously under what I am supposed to be paid)

Before I make a fool of myself and start asking my school silly questions as to why it is lower :D I thought I would ask the internet! Is this happening because we didn't start back on the 1st of September? Or is it simply worked out differently in a way i've not been told about.

Thank you in advance!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Normally the pay you get in September is for the whole calendar month, 1st to 30th. So your September Gross pay x12 should equal your annual salary. Only way to find out why yours isn't is to ask your school HR/payroll person.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You might have been put in the wrong tax band.

Have a look here to see what you should be getting: https://listentotaxman.com/

As above, speak to HR.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If that's before any deductions (tax, pension, NI, student loan), it sounds like there's been a mistake. Double-check what's shown on the payslip, including the pay period covered (just in case they're weird and don't do calendar months). Was the job offer to start September 1st? Pop and see whoever is in charge of payroll, taking your job offer letter with you.

[Hmm, looking at the pay scales, £23720 is bottom of scale for 2018-2019, so if that was the rationale for the figure you were given, that should now be £24373 anyway.]

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Just a quick comment to say that the pay increase for teachers has not yet been approved so the old pay scale is still the most appropriate.

As stated above, just raise a query with your HR / payroll providers - errors do happen.

6. rdsimpson94

rdsimpson94 New commenter

Thanks everyone! This made me not feel like I'm totally missing something and there is actually a mistake.

I spoke to HR and rang payroll, the 'helpful' lady was adamant I was on a salary of £21,084 (roughly). Despite me repeating about 10 times that the government minimum is £23720 and my contract said so as well. (starting the 1st of September). Eventually she came to realise I'd been put in for M1 as I should be, but it was the M1 payment from years ago rather than the current salary.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon! And yep, I asked the lady about the payrise, it will probably come through in the next month or two, and depending on if my school accepts the rise my pay will increase backdating to September.

Thankyou again!

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Thanks for the correction - I just looked up the pay scales and the page I found didn't mention they weren't being applied yet.

8. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Is your tax code 1250LX?