1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Pay / When to approach pay in interviews

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DNewley, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have recently been offered and accepted my first role for when i become an NQT. I was recently told that as a maths teacher and thus being a shortage subject i should normally start on pay grade 2. I did not know during my interview when to approach the pay issue as this was my first interview and i was happy to be offered the job.

My question is when do you approach the topic of pay? I understand that talking about pay before, in the actual interview makes it look that you are more for the money than the job.Taking into account that you have already said that you are a firm candidate (and essentially accepted the job), if its offered its considered a done deal. I am just really confused as to the general rule of discussing pay.
    I approached this with the school that i am to be working at and they said they will only pay pay scale 1, but i suppose i am happy as i managed to secure a July start so will be paid through out the summer. Can anyone offer any advice as to when to discuss this for potential future interviews?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whoever told you that was talking nonsense - the school is starting you on the correct point on the payscale. I assume you'll be intending to apply for the Golden Handshake? That's your extra money that other teachers don't get.
    The time to inquire about extra pay is during the interview; others will say it's when you're offered the post - I suggest you only do it at this point if you're definitely going to accept and are just trying for a bit extra - if the pay is a deal breaker, you must state your terms during the actual interview.

3. Thank you

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'll just add my penn'orth here.
    To be blunt, teachers above M3 or M4 are finding it hard to get jobs - they are being undercut by the enormous numbers of unemployed NQTs who start on M1 and thus cost less, even allowing for the 10% NQT time.
    Teachers on M5 or M6, yet alone UPS, are often not being appointed because of the cost. So good experienced teachers are being turned down for financial reasons.
    A Head that I met today said that in her London Borough schools are appointing all teaching and support staff on one-year contracts only. This is to allow for not renewing their contracts if the schools cannot afford them, without the penalty there would be if they were permanent staff who were "let go".
    The number of jobs advertised so far this year is down between 25% and 33% on the same period last year - different figures in different parts of the country.
    To be offered any teaching job at all, in the current climate, is lucky. To start talking about a possible higher starting salary could be talking yourself out of the job.
    Sorry, but that's the current picture.
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!