1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT pay scale

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cobi1, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Cobi1

Cobi1 New commenter

I completed my NQT year in July. I have not had a performance management meeting for this academic year yet. Is it at the headteacher's discretion whether or not one of their teachers moves up the pay scale after passing NQT year? If so, will I have to wait to find out until my performance management meeting?

I ask because I am starting a new job in January and the new school have said they will be paying me the same as my current school. I know they have asked my headteacher what my current salary is but I am not sure whether she has told them the salary I am currently on (the same as I was as an NQT) or the one I could be moving up to.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

You need to find your school's pay policy and induction policy.

For instance at my school if you pass your NQT year you automatically go up one pay point - induction is your performance management for that year. After that it's a case of the same type of targets as everyone else.

The head might not be the person best placed to answer your questions though - try the bursar or business manager? Someone who actually deals with payroll and payscales.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on reply @varcolac !

Best wishes

4. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Indeed, speak to the glorified accountant, on three times a teacher's salary and on SLT, to discover that as Mr Gove got rid of the national pay scales, to enable schools to 'pay good teachers more', they now have no obligation other than to pay minimum wage, and anyway they can't afford to pay you any more because the business manager is on £60,000.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes.

You may as well have gone to work for a retail chain as you are treated in a similarly poor way to the interchangeable drones there. They may even have a better deal come to think of it. You will get a pay rise when it suits your management.

Be very careful what targets you agree to if you ever get a performance management meeting. Do not agree to any data based targets.

The best advice you will get is to leave and do something else with your life. Seriously.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

But, of course, they can put data based targets into the pay policy whether you agree to them or not, even if you are allowed to refuse a target.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Of course. I hear there are more than a few innumerate and ill-informed people doing just that...

Still, a sensible idea not to agree to data-based targets

http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/problematic-performance-related-pay

Whatever you think performance management should be about, in the current climate it’s worth being fairly hard-nosed about it. Teachers are being denied pay progression because performance management targets are often highly subjective and tied to factors beyond their control. So don’t let this happen.’

'Secondly, agree on targets which will make you a better teacher. Ask for time to pursue a particular interest, whether that be a collaborative project or a piece of research you might wish to do. If you want training in a particular area, make that your performance target. Avoid anything which could be subjective. Either you did a project or you didn’t, you undertook research or you didn’t, you got training or you didn’t. Aim for did/didn’t, and leave no room for opinion.'

I’d stand by that. There is no requirement within the statute or guidance which means that any teacher should accept an appraisal target which links their teaching directly to any numerical target. You need to contribute to ‘improving the education of pupils’ and the school’s plan for improvement of ‘educational provision and performance.’, which, unless you’re in some kind of Capability process, you are clearly doing already.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I know of an academy where one PM target was (I kid you not) getting the attendance of your form above 95%. So if little Johnny has the flu you have to drive round and drag them in for your own pay rise?! (This is the same place where kids were told to 'come in if you're ill' as 'its warmer in our Academy than at home!')

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Off at a slight tangent, the STRB 2015 found that non-maintained schools (academies and academy chains) were less likely to award PRP than maintained schools. Which pretty much correlates with what we know about academies and academy chains (which includes most secondary schools currently): they deliberately keep teacher salaries low by kicking out the experienced, expensive ones.

STRB 2015

Teacher earnings

The Department (DfE) said its analysis of classroom teachers’ salaries showed they were still competitive. It said average salaries for full-time, qualified classroom teachers were higher in secondary schools than primary schools, across both the maintained and academy sectors. It reported that in inner and outer London primary schools the average salaries were higher in maintained schools than in academy converters, whilst in secondary schools, classroom teachers in sponsor-led academies consistently had the lowest salaries in each of the four pay bands. However, it said the analysis did not allow for like-for-like comparisons, and other analysis suggested that on average academies made less use of allowances than maintained schools.

mark6243 likes this.
  10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Before you drag little Johnny in, you need to assess how likely he is to give it to other members of your form - no point in getting him back a day earlier if it sends two more kids home.

11. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

They are businesses. They have business managers. We are a business cost in a privatised sector. This was always going to happen.

It's a pity the public don't see us the same as firefighters or nurses; we'd have a chance of defending ourselves if they did.

12. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Nah, the public loathe firefighters when they stand up for themselves. The difference is that the FBU (like the RMT) has some teeth (not least because its members will follow through) and will call extended strikes over pay and conditions if necessary. The press and Mondeo man go ballistic but ultimately the unions and members who are willing to strike get what they deserve. If you hold off "for the sake of the children" all that happens is that you get taken advantage of.

DYNAMO67 and ilovesooty like this.