1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Pay question!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lizzy1344, Sep 6, 2012.

1. lizzy1344

lizzy1344 New commenter

Hi, I have looked online and can't seem to find a good formula to work out my rate of pay.
    Basically, I am an NQT living outside London and have just been offered 2 days cover work a week for a school that I used to work in as a TA. Can somebody please advise me how much I would earn from this? I planned to do supply as much as possible- however having the 2 days would be nice as then I know I will be earning at least that much a month but would I get more from supply? I don't understand how to work the pay out for a part time teacher and if I am a permanent employee do I get holiday pay etc?

Please help!
    Thanks

2. If you are being paid directly by the school you will be paid your annual salary divided by 195 (the number of teaching days a year). This includes an element of holiday pay. You will also be able to pay into the teachers pension scheme which is invaluable. Make sure that you are being employed as a teacher not as a TA.
    If, however, you are being employed by an agency you will almost certainly be paid much less. There will be a flat pay rate per day, no holiday pay, no sick pay, no chance to join the teachers pension scheme.
    So it really matters which route you are being employed via. If it is directly by the school you are very lucky indeed and need to hold onto the job until you get more permanent work. In many areas supply work s not plentiful and not well paid. Many supply teachers do not earn enough to pay tax in a year.
    Are you being employed as a part-time permanent teacher or as a supply teacher for 2 days a week? If part-time then calculate your earnings as 0.4 of your annual salary. You will NOT earn more on supply, they are worked out on a similar basis if employed direct. You WILL earn less if employed by an agency on supply.

3. lizzy1344

lizzy1344 New commenter

Yes, direct through the school, the head phoned me earlier today and offered me 2 days. Covering assistant head and NQT relief time. It also means I will gain a term or so of my NQT year.

So a full time teacher is £21, 588 x 0.4 is 8635 and then divide it by 12 to get my monthly wage of £719.60?
    I hope this is correct (I know its only the start of the term but I was getting depressed about having no work yet! So this has come at a perfect time but kind of seems too good to be true!)

Thanks for your help and advice!

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Sounds about right, though obviously after tax etc it'll be less. I'd grab it with both hands, you might earn the same amount on supply but that's unlikely, almost certainly less. One agency I was with paid £80 a day...multiply that by 2 days a week, 39 weeks a year and see how much less you'd get that way. Plus yours is guaranteed :)