1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT pay query

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nalsa4444, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    Hoping someone can help me with this query.
    What can an NQT expect to get paid on the normal pay scale? Does having previous non-teaching experience in business mean starting on a higher salary?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Hello all,
    Hoping someone can help me with this query.
    What can an NQT expect to get paid on the normal pay scale? Does having previous non-teaching experience in business mean starting on a higher salary?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think Theo's advice might be to check this out either on Pay & Conditions forum or the salary checker at http://www.tes.co.uk/salarySearch.aspx?

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Hi there,
    your pay will depend entirely on what the school/LA want to pay you. I am doing my NQT year and started on M2 presumably because I had a year on supply before hand. This wasn't discussed at interview and was a very nice surprise when it appeared on my contract.
    I have a friend who started on M3 as she had several years of business experience before she changed to teaching.

It is possible to start higher up the pay scale but it all depends on what the school want to start you on and how much they money they have I would say.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Correct!
    And on the Supply and Demand situation. A school getting 250+ applicants will not want - or expect - to pay over the odds.
    Do make sure that your application is as good as it can be, to give you the edge for getting an interview against pretty fierce competition. Look at the FAQs and the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Best of luck.
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    There is also another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

If you are going straight from University (as I have and am an NQT at the moment). You will start on £21,588.