1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Pay Progression

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by henryoakley, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hi.

I am an NQT. I started my induction year last year but was unable to complete it due to a serious illness. I was employed for the full year by the LEA and I ended up having about 6 weeks off in the last term when I had to go into hospital. Therefore I was only able to complete the first 2/3rds of my induction before my contract ran out.

I have been supplying this year (I know this has no effect on pay scale) and have now found a job for september 2011.

I'm pretty sure I should be going in on M2, but both my new head and LA say that I can't go onto M2 because I still have a term of my induction left and that NQTs can't go up the pay scale.

I know this isn't correct as I've taught well over the 26 weeks and been employed to teach for the full 52 weeks of my induction year, even though I had 6 weeks off. And even taking those 6 weeks into account, I've still taught full time for well over 26 weeks.

Can someone point me in the right direction of an official source which confirms this so that I can print it off and show them please?

Thanks for the help.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It does not matter whether you completed induction or not - and the LA should know that very well.
    I can't speak for your head, as a growing number of heads are being appointed who clearly do not know their arses from their elbows.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You'll be M2 for your next LA post. Deal with HR at the LA if you have any problems with that. If it's the same LA as your last LA post, they will have your 26+ week record and M2 pay should be automatic.
    If it's a new LA, you need to inform them about your last school year record with another LA. Hold onto payslips but the original LA HR/Salaries department will be able to provide the information required.
    Your Head may wish to learn that an NQT on a 0.2 contract (1 day per week) will be on M5 in their 5th year of teaching and will not complete Induction until the end of that school year. They will then be eligible to apply for Threshold in the school year after passing Induction.

4. Thanks. this is what I've been told previously when I've looked into it. I just wanted to know if it explicitly says this in the terms and conditions document, or anywhere else? Thanks