1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Pay in July

Discussion in 'Personal' started by x_natasha_x, Jun 11, 2019.

1. x_natasha_x

x_natasha_x New commenter

I have been training as a teacher this year and am looking forward to starting my first teaching job on July 1st. My school were very open about the fact that they will pay me from then and therefore, I will be paid through the summer holidays! However, I have heard some people mention that schools sometimes pay NQTs the unqualified teacher salary rate until September. This hasn't been mentioned to me by my school at all.

Is this the norm for NQTs who start in July?
    Is it it likely that this would be the case?
    Would they have mentioned this if it were the case?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Any Money is well worth receiving!

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

When do you qualify? Agree with @50sman though, especially in the current economic climate.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Have a word with the school’s HR person. They should be in a position to confirm the rate you’ll be paid at - or at least enquire on your behalf.

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

This is a pleasing thought. Ask for clarification, and this won't be a bad thing as it will give you the courage to ask about things you need to know when you arrive. Good luck with the new job!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

When I started, I was paid to go in for two weeks in July. I can't remember what rate that was at (I think it was just a sum that was offered, rather than any scale), but I don't imagine it was as much as getting a full two months' pay, even at unqualified rate.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.