1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT pay for an experienced supply teacher (1.5 years)

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by rebeccajc, Jun 11, 2015.

1. rebeccajc

rebeccajc New commenter

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on pay. I completed my PGCE and then went straight into a masters of education. Once completed I decided to supply as I was returning to London and ended up for various reasons doing a few long term positions (1.5 terms, .5 term and 2.5 terms). I have finally been offered a fixed term contract for one year to do my NQT at my current supply school but have been told I will be on M1.

I hoped (and believe) I should be on at least M2 but wondered if I should fight it or just bite the bullet and get the year done, next September will be my 4th year of teaching so I will only have 1 more year to complete NQT induction so am getting a bit nervous.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Rebecca

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm not sure how you're in your fourth year of teaching when you've also written you did 1.5 years in long term supply - unless the other 1.5 years were day to day?

To be frank, I would accept M1 and get on with it. We currently have teachers on UPS who are being offered M6 to get jobs, and as you have not even started induction, I doubt you'd be taken seriously if you pushed for M2.

3. rebeccajc

rebeccajc New commenter

I am not currently in my 4th year, I will be going into my 4th year induction time and my 3 year of teaching. I basically started day to day in January 2013 was given a maternity cover to the end of the year. Took a supply NQT position to start September was told they would not start NQT until the following year, then took a different position in November and the same happened but now they have offered NQT on a fixed contract starting in July but was told I would get M4 but on checking have been told M1.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not sure what you mean by "fight it"? You have absolutely no 'entitlement' to more than the school has offered to pay you, so there's nothing to "fight".

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I cannot understand why you were not able to start induction on the longer (2.5 term) contract. I was under the impression that any contract longer than a term could support NQT induction unless the school was in special measures or fitted other very specific criteria (eg secure unit).

If you really are keen to start induction then accept M1. Apparently, high fliers are rewarded quite quickly these days and you could find yourself on a much higher salary in a fairly short space of time.

7. rebeccajc

rebeccajc New commenter

The school said I could do a term of my NQT but then said due to circumstances they could no longer offer it but now due to circumstances they can (i.e 15 teachers and TA's handing in their notice) hence why I am slightly nervous and Ofsted due next year. Beyond the school experience I also have 15 years Customer Services experience at an international train company and a Masters of Education too.

8. wingcommander81

wingcommander81 New commenter

Hi Rebecca.

In my experience if you've been hopping about on supply (and even if you've had lesson obs) once you get a settled job or something for a year, then the school will offer you what was stated on the previous contract of your last full-time/permanent post. This is down to lack of experience/performance management in a continued setting while on supply.

You have also yet to do your induction which shows you haven't jumped through the training hoops of a professional mentor (usually HOD or SLT)....and as there's also no pay portability these days, M1 is realistic.

I don't know what supply pay is like where you are. People earn anything from £80 to £150. I'd say an average, and if you're lucky, is around £120. Even if you manage to get booked EVERY single day for 40 weeks, and that's including INSET days, you'd be getting £24k pre-tax. Not much difference. But you never get a booking every single day for the full year and when you are on a long-term placement, you are expected to complete the same tasks and attend the meetings/twilight sessions anyway.

....and the pay will be even less if you don't get your induction done!

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm going to add this - there seems to be a myth on the forums that having a load of extra qualifications will enhance your pay. Unless you prove your extra knowledge will enhance your classroom performance and results, it won't. As Wingcommander says, you need to begin and complete your induction.

10. rebeccajc

rebeccajc New commenter

Thank you all for your advice. I am fingers crossed getting a permanent M2 job (without summer pay) in a different school. I just now have to manoeuvre around handing my notice in for September?!? Any suggestions?

11. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

So you didn't verbally accept the first school? - otherwise you would be contractually committed to work for them.

Not sure how you are going to get released in time to take up the 2nd post given the resignation date has passed. Have you spoken to the head about early release - although it would be discretionary. They may be unhappy though if you are breaking your contractual obligation to work for them next year

12. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Oh dear.... I have a feeling you have done something really stupid here Rebecca. You had already made a contract with school one. You were in no position to break it.....

You are in no position to go to another interview after accepting another job as you are not in a position to take it. If the schools find out then they are likely both to remove job offers.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you're on a permanent contract, you can't. You can only leave for September with the special permission of the head.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

15. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

The earliest you can expect to leave is Christmas - if you have already accepyed a permanent post for September.

If you go for an interview for another post to start in September, and accept, then ask the HT of your current school to release you for September, chances are h/she will tell the other HT. Why shouldn't they?

You need to complete your induction. I suggest you stick with what you've got.