1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT part-time

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ahmedgul, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ahmedgul

ahmedgul New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently doing a maths PGCE and was just looking out for jobs for next year. Almost all the posts being advertised are for full-time roles. I was thinking of doing my NQT part time (3/4 days a week) over 2 years as I wanted to do a masters during this time as well. Any ideas on how to go about looking for a part time teaching post. Or if there's any alternatives. (I'm applying to be a maths teacher)

Thanks

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Find a job and apply for it. This is the only advice we can offer you. Part time positions are hard to come by. A lot of current staff will be looking for part time hours. Any sniff of availability will be snapped up by such staff!

4 days a week for starters is awkward, as who is picking up one day of a timetable? What master's degree do you want to do, and for what reason? I ask because for me, if you want to be a teacher that should be your priority for now. A NQT year is hard. Part time or not, I wonder whether you need the master's in your life at this point.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I agree with @DYNAMO67 . What you need to do is get your NQT year over and done with before thinking of another qualification.

Several reasons for this:

1) The induction year is the completion of your qualification. Without it, you are stymied.

2) Part-time posts are extremely hard to find. And a 60- 80% timetable is unlikely, in Secondary, to be concentrated on 3 or 4 days, because of timetabling constraints. So even more unlikely. by holding out for this, you are even less likely to even start your induction, yet alone finish it.

3) NQT induction is hard; even less than a full load will not leave you much time or energy or even enthusiasm for a Master's degree.

4) What is the aim of doing the Master's? It is unlikely to advance your teaching career.

Go for a FT post for your NQT induction, then think about what you want to do next once your whole qualification is in the bag.

Best wishes