1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Paperwork

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by HobanWashburne, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I am currently in the process of filling out my core evidence of completing the standards for this current term. It is a form with boxes to fill out and it is taking me quite a while as I am not sure if I have met a certain standards. My mentor emailed me the form on Thursday to be completed by Monday. Having talked to the Maths NQTs this was done by their induction mentors.
    My question is should I even be doing this? I have lessons to plan and tests to mark and although I had a rest yesterday I am beginning to regret that choice!
    Is this a task for me or is my induction mentor delegating their taks to me?

2. Sorry delegating their tasks...

3. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

Do you think your mentor doesnt have lessons to plan and tests to mark? Didn't you have to collect and fill in evidence for your PGCE/GTP? If the answers to the above are yes then I'm afraid you would have to do it yourself. The Maths NQT is just lucky or his/her mentor has too much time on their hand.

4. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

Agree with above poster - it is your responsibility to complete the form, that then will need to be discussed with your NQT mentor at your next meeting. You should be keeping evidence and details as you go along as to how you meet all the core standards, this is then confirmed at your meetings, you will need this for your end of term report as well. These records should be kept in the same way as your PGCE standards. Remember you actually have more 'free' time in order to complete this paperwork during your NQT year!

5. Hmmm... there is always a dash of hostility whenever I seem to post here.
    Seeing as I never seem to have a weekly meeting with my NQT mentor, all I have is four lesson observation forms. When I do it doesn't seem to focus on anything stated on any of the forms I have been given. I have handed in my TDA folder which hasn't been looked at once but I always bring it to the meetings.
    All I am merely stating is that is it is seriously flawed to give an NQT a form and four days, to look at all of their evidence and match it up to the standards especially as I am not entirely sure what is a acceptable piece of evidence. I have had no guidance and on my PGCE all my evidence was displayed on two forms both filled out by my subject mentor.
    Also it seems that alot of people forget what it is like to be an NQT, yes the teacher in question probably has tests to mark and lessons to plan but I think they probably have gotten to the stage where it takes them lesson than an hour to plan a lesson and lesson than 2 hours to mark a set of tests! On top of that I am being observed twice next week. Making that 8 observation lessons in one term. All this for an NQT graded satisfactory for two lessons and good for four.

6. I agree with your first comment, sometimes I think that even if someone doesn't agree with the OP, there are more polite ways of saying so.
    You - and the other NQT - probably should either be doing these standards yourself or (even better) with your mentor during meetings. Don't panic about doing all of them - one term equals one third of the standards, so you only need to worry about filling in about 13 of them now. Where you might fall down though is because you don't seem to be having mentor meetings, the paperwork generated by these meetings doesn't exist so you can't use things you would have discussed during the meetings as evidence.
    This would be my biggest concern as if your mentor is being lax now, it doesn't bode well for the future or you meeting all the standards by the end of the year. Perhaps you could gently remind them that you haven't had a meeting for a bit? Right now I'd use any feedback forms, meetings with parents or handouts from CPD sessions for evidence.

7. Thanks for your advice, I will try to do my best with it now but mention to my mentor that we need to start meeting more frequently and have discussions which relate more to the standards rather than 'how was this week?' as I literally have little to no idea.

It's not helpful that I have had to swap my mentor... as another NQT needs more support...doesn't bode well...*sigh*.

8. Oh dear, I'm stating to panic now. I'm an NQT in my first term and I haven't been given a form to fill in. When I asked my mentor at th beginning of the year what evidence I needed to keep, I was told "nothing".

9. I've never had a meeting with my NQT mentor, but I have been told by the school's overall NQT leader that it's not necessary to have evidence - ELIZABETH, this applies to you too! It could be useful if they dispute whether you've actually met the criteria though.
    Lesson than an hour to plan a lesson? I'm in the same boat as you and it hasn't taken me more than an hour to plan a lesson since my first term on the PGCE! As an NQT you should have more free time than him which means, logistically, you are better suited than him to actually fill it in.
    However, I think he should be helping you with it! I suspect it's up to the mentor whether or not they can be bothered to deal with the NQT. In our case, they decided that they can't be bothered with us. In other cases, they're more involved. Nothing we can really do about that short for pestering them. If they took on that role, they should be fulfilling it.

10. Hello,

I have just finished my NQT year and completed it in two schools. At both schools my mentors sat with me and we filled out the forms together. I didn't have to provide any evidence other than verbally and we looked at standards I had met and wrote down how I had met them. We put the standard we were referring to, in brackets, at the end of the sentence/ paragraph.
    Could you speak to your mentor and ask for some help as it is your first one? Or maybe your HoD?
    For example, for a standard that refers to working with parents ( I can't recall exact wording or numbers) we wrote down about parents evening. For one about being up to date with the curriculum we wrote that I had a good subject knowledge and planned and delivered lessons in line with the curriculum.
    Good luck.

11. there's no way you should be having this many obs, it's 6 by your nqt professional mentor for the whole year.

12. Hi myself and all other NQTs have been asked to write their own report, I had no problem with this until I was told that it should be written in the third person.( in other words doing someone elses job) I think it's bloody ridiculous. The only upside is that I have a bullet proof report which says I have met all of the standards already.
    I will add very little if I am asked to do future reports as I have spent so much time on the first one. I feel this year is another hoop in the system rather than anything of any value.

13. I had to fill in my own boxes. However, didn't take me too long - just put how am meeting them and the put the date in to refer to lesson plans or a meeting or whatever - My mentor was new to the role, the borough didn't question it and since I did this for all three terms and am now in my second year teaching I presume this was all ok. I can email you what I did but tbh there is not much to see apart from "continuing to meet this standard" or "see lesson plan 15-09-09". Hope this helps :) (I'm also Primary BTW so don't know if that helps you)

14. oh, I also wrote my own report in the end of each term - needless to say I was given a glowing report! ;)

15. As a fellow NQT, the information I have received has been very little in comparison to GTP guidance. I have been told, however, that one piece of evidence could serve to 'prove' as many C numbers as you see fit. Essentially, one piece of evidence for a C is sufficient, and that same evidence could serve as many Cs as you like. The lack of time you've been given must be frustrating but it shouldn't be a massive job. have been told by previous NQTs that checking your email and using those as evidence can prove to be VERY effective!! Hope you get on OK :)

16. One of the main problems about the forms and evidence is that there is NO guidance about what every NQT should do. Different LAs and even different schools do things in different ways. So some require portfoklios and others do not, some want forms and tick boxes others just need a single form with a few comments signed by the head and NQT.
    As for what constitutes evidence for the standards - if you look at them you will see that they are very similar/nearly identical to the QTS standards that you evidenced as a PGCE so the evidence is very similar to that gathered for the PGCE.
    James

17. It specifically says in the TDA induction guidance that you are not expected to keep evidence. However some schools decide they want their NQTs to keep evidence. It varies school by school (unfairly?). Luckily I don't have to keep any above and beyond the lesson observations. If you are concerned your school might think you have not met the required standard, then it would probably be wise to keep a more detailed file. Otherwise, it's fine.

18. Can you point me in the direction of where it says you are not expected to keep evidence. I am having to do an enormous amount of work to satisfy my assessor, including producing written evidence for everything. When I started to jump through that hoop, repeating much of what I had done last year for my PGCE, I am now having to do case studies and produce paper trails for individual pupils who are struggling/gifted, etc. It would be nice to have TDA guidance to back me up if I'm told I haven't fulfilled the criteria because of lack of evidence.
    I understood that the extra 10% non-contact time was to allow NQTs to plan lessons and familiarise themselves with everything new, not to repeat work done the previous year. It is particularly stupid as all of this 'evidence' is so easily faked if need be. I can produce any 'evidence' you want given a computer and a bit of time, whereas talking to my HoD and observing lessons would surely give a more accurate picture without wasting so much of my time.

19. The extra 10% is not for you to plan lessons, although in some schools they will allow this to happen. It is time for your own professional development and the school can direct you to activities for this e.g. courses, observing other teachers, visiting partner schools etc.

20. I wish my school knew that! I'm constantly asking for CPD opportunities in my NQT time, but I'm just being left to my own devices and end up spending it as extra PPA time. I'm fully aware that I get this chance once, and I'll never have this dedicated time for my professional development again, but I'm also being told that everything needs to be arranged through my head teacher, and he's not arranged anything so far. I haven't even had written feedback from my lesson observations. A whole term has flown by and nothing has happened.