1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by FRANCIE11, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi,

in the past it was not possible to do your NQT abroad but did I hear right that is there some upcoming announcement regarding this with the possibility of it being changed to allowing you to complete it abroad?

2. Hi,

in the past it was not possible to do your NQT abroad but did I hear right that is there some upcoming announcement regarding this with the possibility of it being changed to allowing you to complete it abroad?

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As usual, the answer to this one in "yes" and "no". Yes, it is possible for an NQT to get a job in an international school, especially if you teach Chemistry or Physics. No, most headteachers in the UK probably will not want to employ someone who has completed their NQT year overseas and who therefore has little or no relevant experience of teaching in the UK.

4. invincible

invincible New commenter

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It is possible to complete your NQT year at an overseas British Forces' school. Perhaps the COBIS thing will happen and maybe it won't.
    In his (or her?) post, invincible does not discuss the issue of whether or not doing your NQT year in an international school really is a good idea, if you are planning to return to teach in the UK. As there are currently so many unemployed teachers in the UK, it seems to me to be unwise to put yourself at a disadvantage when trying to find a new job.

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

I didn't discuss it because that was not what was asked.

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Very wise, invincible.
    Allow someone more indiscreet and garrulous to gatecrash and suggest that once a few certifiably good British style schools outside the UK have got permission to host NQTs, undergoing the process there will be just like doing so at any school in the UK.
    No, not so, it will be like doing it at a confident and successful private school in the UK, with all the support from colleagues and students and non-authoritarian school leaders that such schools lay on for the beginner.
    The COBIS thing is a done deal and is gonna happen, hippo - accept that change even comes to the remotest mudhole, otherwise you will become an Endangered Species...

8. Hi,

I have been looking into this also as I want to teach in Dubai and complete my NQT year next year too. I have gone to an interview for a British curriculum school in Dubai. They are hoping to offer the NQT year in their school in the next year of two as they wish to encourage english speaking trained teachers to work in their school. The school in question currently has a large number of staff from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

The Scottish head teacher spoke very enthusiastically about NQT in her school and appeared to be in contact with the organisation that will be responsible for the training to offer the NQT year in that school.

Hope this is of some help!