1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT only offered part time. Advice please

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by tjsmith2102, May 26, 2020.

1. tjsmith2102

tjsmith2102 New commenter

Please can someone give me some advice. I have only been offered part time (2 days a week) as an NQT. The other 3 days covering or supporting classes.

I don’t know what to do and finding a job with the current situation will not be easy.

Any advice or experiences would be so appreciated.

2. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

I did the latter 2 terms of my NQT year part time initially, but then due to changes in school structure/staffing/job-share sickness, I was able to step in and cover on my off days which led to me being full time for the last 6 ish weeks. It was a good and gentle way to get to know the class and share reaponsibility/planning before being thrown in full time. It also stood me in good stead for applying for a permanent role that came up there as I could say and demonstrate how committed and reliable I was, which they also reflected in references when I did eventually move on to a new school.

It takes a little longer to do pro-rata, so an NQT year becomes an NQT year and a half ish (depending on the proportion of days you work), but for me the benefits far outweighed negatives.

I had my own consistent class for part of the week, a phaed intro to the school, supported as an NQT with all the training and mentored benefits, along with the added benefit of being able to do Supply teaching alongside it in other schools (or indeed my own school/class) on my off days where I could test out and try new approaches/styles in a safe and low risk environment whilst magpieing ideas and tips/tricks to take back with me to my own class.

My contract was 0.6 fte and I asked if I could do Supply on my other days which they were fine with. You still get your 10% PPA and 10% NQT non contact time as part of your prorata'd hours.

It sounds like your arrangement might be different to mine if they insist on using you for 'in-house' cover on your off days though? Check carefully what they're offering you.

I would recommend the set up I had to anyone in a heartbeat, gained so much confidence and extra experience through doing supply on the side!