1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT on supply

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by 2JGO, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm starting my NQT while on maternity cover but as such I don't get the extra time allowed for NQT. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience? I am finding it quite a challenge and having second thoughts about doing my NQT now. Also my mentor is already expressing concerns about me meeting the standards.

2. Hi
    If you are a NQT and your maternity cover lasts for at least a term then your should be registered with the LA as on induction (do check that this has been done). The school has no choice but to provide the reduced timetable for you. To not do so is illegal - your PPA time and NQT time (which together make 19%). If the school tries to make out that you are not making satisfactory progress and they are not fulfilling their legal obligations towards you then they are on very sticky ground.
    Do read the NQT guidance (perhaps diplomatically suggest that the mentor does so also) so that you, the school, the mentor etc are clear on their roiles and responsibilities.
    http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/12703/080623%20Induction%20Statutory%20Guidance.pdf
    James