1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT on part time contract until Dec

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sweetie666, Aug 6, 2011.

1. sweetie666

sweetie666 New commenter

Hi all
    I have completed my PGCE after many years of training in the early years and working as a TA for 2 years. I have also managed to secure a part time 0.6 contract at my final placement school from my PGCE to cover maternity. I have also been informed that I might be able to do a full time maternity cover from Jan for 1 year too,which is great news.
    My questions are:
    how long will it take me to complete my NQT year if I am part time (0.6) until dec then full time for a year? can I complete it within the term and 1 year maternity cover?
    What happens come Sep with pay, would I move up to M2
    even

2. sweetie666

sweetie666 New commenter

Sorry it posted before I could complete the message!!
    even if I havnt finished my NQT year?
    Thank you in advance all responses will really help

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

If the year's maternity cover runs January 2012 to January 2013 then you will definitely be able to complete your induction before the end of the maternity cover. You should be finished by October half term 2012 at the latest.
    Provided you have worked for 26 consecutive weeks (inclusive of holidays) then you will advance to M2 even if you have yet completed induction.

4. sweetie666

sweetie666 New commenter

Thank you very much Eva Smith very useful.
    How many weeks do you have to complete on the NQT year then?

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

You have to complete a full year's teaching. However, I think if you are part-time, you only complete the proportion of induction according to your contract, if you see what I mean.

6. Yes.

Induction requires you to complete 3 terms full time. If you are on 0.5, for instance, then it will take you 6 terms.

7. Charlington

Charlington New commenter

Yes, that's right. I worked all year on a 0.7 contract, and will therefore complete my induction by just after half term next year (I think) Every one has to complete the same number of days induction, whether you're full or part time.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You must be registered as an NQT with the LA at the start of your first qualified teaching in September. As it's 0.7, the LA will work out when in the Spring term 2012 you will complete the first Induction term, bearing in mind that you will change to f/t in January (spedding up the process). As you will be carrying on at the school f/t, the next 2 Induction terms will be complated at the same point in the following school terms (eg; all Induction terms completed in the 3rd week, for instance, of a school term)

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You can download an induction calculator from the TDA website as an Excel file. This will give you the periods for assessment and overall timing of induction to account for the various contract types.