1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT on a 12 month contract

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fahrsx, Feb 27, 2012.

1. It's that time of year where vacancies start to appear. So my question is this...

I work in a difficult school where expectations are extremely high, the school's aim is to become outstanding. As a trainee I was very happy to get a post last year and accepted a 12 month contract. It has been a very rocky road with lots of highs and lows (and I appriciate this is the case for most NQTs). The school is currently advertising a teaching post, however nothing has been said to me about whether I should apply to this. Other teachers including my mentor have said they don't think it's my job and that while things are going well I should keep my head down as they will approach me. Whilst I appriciate their honesty is doesn't help me or my mind working overtime as to whether I will have a job come September. I'm driving myself crazy thinking about it.

So I have two options. Do I

1. Bite the bullet and speak to the head but risk bringing attention to myself, which isn't always positive

OR

2. Shut up and stop worrying and wait for them to speak to me.

Does anyone have any experience of this they can share? If I go with option 2 how long do you think is reasonable to wait?

Thank you for any advice :)

2. It's that time of year where vacancies start to appear. So my question is this...

I work in a difficult school where expectations are extremely high, the school's aim is to become outstanding. As a trainee I was very happy to get a post last year and accepted a 12 month contract. It has been a very rocky road with lots of highs and lows (and I appriciate this is the case for most NQTs). The school is currently advertising a teaching post, however nothing has been said to me about whether I should apply to this. Other teachers including my mentor have said they don't think it's my job and that while things are going well I should keep my head down as they will approach me. Whilst I appriciate their honesty is doesn't help me or my mind working overtime as to whether I will have a job come September. I'm driving myself crazy thinking about it.

So I have two options. Do I

1. Bite the bullet and speak to the head but risk bringing attention to myself, which isn't always positive

OR

2. Shut up and stop worrying and wait for them to speak to me.

Does anyone have any experience of this they can share? If I go with option 2 how long do you think is reasonable to wait?

Thank you for any advice :)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Say nothing and keep your eye out for a job come September, if you find one you wish to apply for you'll need to ask the head for a reference so you could say then how you wish to stay etc etc... (if you do) x

4. I'm in a very similar situation, OP.
    Due to falling numbers at my school (it's a tiny village primary), a teaching head has been appointed for next year who will be part-time in either my current class (Y3/4) or Y5/6.
    Up until last week I assumed this meant my 12-month contract wouldn't be extended, as the Y5/6 teacher is outstanding and has a permanent contract, and I didn't want to only work part-time. However, the Y5/6 teacher has now actually been appointed to the teaching head role, meaning that the school will still need an additional FT KS2 teacher in September.
    I mentioned it to both the current head and the newly-appointed one, but they've both said that they don't know when they'll be able to tell me what the situation is for next year.
    So frustrating. I don't want to waste time applying for jobs only to find out that I am staying, but I also don't want to wait too long without knowing.
    OP, I guess I'd advise asking where you stand. Hope you get a speedier response than me!

5. Speak to you line manager/HoD/HeadTeacher NOW. Someone may have forgotten that you are on a 12 month contract, and may just be assuming that you are there on a permanent one. There are all sorts of possiblities ... you'll never know unitl you ask.

6. After speaking to nearly everyone in school I had clearly dropped enough hints to be told what is going on! There are lots of us on temporary contracts and not enough jobs for the people! I'm not giving too much detail though as I don't want this to be tracked back. Options are quite open at the minute so we shall see!

Thank you all for your replies. They were all helpful :) x