1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT of FE Art and Design seeking alternative employment. But how do I convince employers I'm not going to leave for perfect job?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Sennen18, Apr 12, 2011.

1. I'm not going to go on about the current job climate because it's already depressing me. I trained to teach in further education Art and Design because I was passionate about it, but more recently I am just passionate about finding work. I want to stick with education because I know I was born to do it but sadly I'm having to look at roles such as a classroom assistant or a teaching assistant. I've even applied for admin roles. It's getting very scary because in 6 months I've had one interview for a teaching assistant post in a secondary school and obviously didn't get that. I'm also applying for jobs in schools however this seems to be just a waste of time. (Although I have lots of that)

I think my main problem is that Im struggling with writing statements that convince employers that I'm not going to run off as soon as my dream job comes up. And it is hard. I've never had a 'proper' full time job. So my CV's very boring. I've been in education myself for 20 years. Now I'm 24 and feeling alot like I should have left school at 16 like all my friends who have their own homes and things they want. I even quit my little part-time job that I used to do every day, each morning before school/college/uni so that I could travel to a teaching placement that was quite far away from where I live.

I feel that the more I am 'out' of the teaching environment, the harder it will be for me to get back into it. I have obviously considered voluntary work to try to get some experience of teaching in a school, but will this really improve my chances of getting work in one? A close friend of mine who is in the same position as me is doing this and he hasn't had any interviews either.

I just need work. And I don't want to ruin any future chances of being able to teach art. I would really like some advice on what I can say to employers who are seeking a classroom assistant so that I can actually get an interview and also would like some advice on if im doing the right thing. Am i?

NB: I apologise for the depressing tone of this query. And the length: I felt it best to tell you a bit about my background.

2. I'm not going to go on about the current job climate because it's already depressing me. I trained to teach in further education Art and Design because I was passionate about it, but more recently I am just passionate about finding work. I want to stick with education because I know I was born to do it but sadly I'm having to look at roles such as a classroom assistant or a teaching assistant. I've even applied for admin roles. It's getting very scary because in 6 months I've had one interview for a teaching assistant post in a secondary school and obviously didn't get that. I'm also applying for jobs in schools however this seems to be just a waste of time. (Although I have lots of that)

I think my main problem is that Im struggling with writing statements that convince employers that I'm not going to run off as soon as my dream job comes up. And it is hard. I've never had a 'proper' full time job. So my CV's very boring. I've been in education myself for 20 years. Now I'm 24 and feeling alot like I should have left school at 16 like all my friends who have their own homes and things they want. I even quit my little part-time job that I used to do every day, each morning before school/college/uni so that I could travel to a teaching placement that was quite far away from where I live.

I feel that the more I am 'out' of the teaching environment, the harder it will be for me to get back into it. I have obviously considered voluntary work to try to get some experience of teaching in a school, but will this really improve my chances of getting work in one? A close friend of mine who is in the same position as me is doing this and he hasn't had any interviews either.

I just need work. And I don't want to ruin any future chances of being able to teach art. I would really like some advice on what I can say to employers who are seeking a classroom assistant so that I can actually get an interview and also would like some advice on if im doing the right thing. Am i?

NB: I apologise for the depressing tone of this query. And the length: I felt it best to tell you a bit about my background.