1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Observation-Writing differentiation. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by SodaPop, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I have my final NQT obsevration tomorrow and need a a little support/guidence for an adult led actitivty.
    The head is looking at "Writing - A focus on differentiation for reception pupils". I have 9 reception pupils who vary immensely in ability. Some are able to use their phonic knowlwdge to sound out simple words succesfully, some have a go at breaking the sounds down and write them down and a couple of children are making marks on the paper.
    I need an adult led activity which caters for all these abilities and, of course, is fun and interesting!! Our 'theme' is pets so was trying to think of something linked with that if possible.
    Having a complete brain block and can feel the stress building up!! :(
    Thank you.

2. Anyone??

3. Develop a fabulous, shared conversation with all your children about pets followed by some kind of drawing, cutting/sticking activity which can be labelled. Encourage/support your more able children to write a longer caption - perhaps even a sentence and encourage/support your less able children to write simple word labels.
    Have some visual aids on the table or very nearby with letter shapes and formation.
    You might even have some graphemes beyond single letters for them to look at.
    Do some modelling on paper, or small whiteboards or a nearby teacher's whiteboard of flipchart to support letter formation where necessary.
    The language to support the writing is going to range from reference to technical things like 'what sounds can you hear in that word?' (do all-through-the-word oral segmenting) and 'I wonder what letters or letter groups we need for those sounds' - to vocabulary enrichment and helping oral structure of sentences if necessary.
    There is no reason why you can't slip between all the children helping each one with their level of need whilst doing the same theme of pets.

4. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/unit5_pdfs/1192482699-5-28561.pdf

You might want something like this (the top one) for a visual aid. If this does not address the graphemes the children want for their words, either let them have a go with what they know already - or say, 'In that word, you can spell the -such and such sound with these letters, I'll show you' and model the word for the child on the board. Only you can decide which tack to take.
    The other thing to mention is that people observing you may have their own preconceived ideas of what they want to see. You might not match their expectation. That doesn't mean that you have got it wrong.
    We all have to be a bit detached from observation feedback because it is sometimes dependent on a person's subjective viewpoint and experience.
    In other words, whatever happens, don't let it get you down. Ultimately you just need to make sure that you know your stuff, that you are adapting and providing for the children in your care - and that YOU are happy with your practice and know that it is effective.
    Apart from anything else, when people come to observe, they see such a very, very small part of what we provide, our relationships with and understanding of the children and our general practice. It is very harsh to judge people on such small snapshots and impressions so please try not to worry.