1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Observation Lesson

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cuffin, Nov 18, 2015.

1. cuffin

cuffin New commenter

I am planning on doing my NQT observed lesson on telling the time in French with Y7s. It will form the second lesson on telling the time. The lesson is only 35 minutes long and I was wondering if you have any ideas on how to make sure it is to standard. I'm getting really nervous and apprehensive about it.

I was thinking of doing a quick recap with them from the lesson - using individual mini whiteboards first. Then moving on to some more vocabulary. But trying to fit in some writing (start of the lesson), speaking and reading I think will be so tough.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

2. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

My advice would be:

-don't do anything crazily ambitious that you wouldn't do in a normal lesson. Just do normal, simple stuff but keep the pace up.
    -be clear on what your objectives are and make sure all of your activities relate to them - if it doesn't help pupils to learn what you're setting out to teach them, scrap it.
    -scaffold activities and build up gradually so the observer can see clear progress from what pupils could do at the start of the lesson to what they can do at the end

I don't know what you've already done in the first lesson on time (and I hate teaching telling the time!) so it's hard to advise on specifics, but I'd do something like:
    • a short settling starter such as matching phrases to pictures (provide an extension - eg: an extra picture where they have to write the sentence themselves)
    • mini-whiteboard practice of what they did last lesson - build up from recognition to usage (eg: initially you say il est neuf heures and they write 9 o'clock, then later you say 5 o'clock and they write il est cinq heures) Build this up with adding in half-past, quarter to, etc. depending on what you've already taught them.
    • capitalise on the numeracy potential of the lesson - all teachers are expected to develop pupils' literacy and numeracy so if you can get some feedback showing you do this effectively then you have more evidence for the teacher standards for this year. Using the 24 hour clock would work well here if you have bright pupils who will get it - plus cultural brownie points in terms of how this is used more in French than in English.
    • reading comprehension with cognate activities and different times (eg: je regarde la télé a 5h, j'écoute de la musique a 6h, je joue au foot a 7h) to step it up a level (if they've already done a fair bit on telling the time and are able).
    • make sure at the end of the lesson you do an activity where pupils have to show they have met the objectives. Try to make it something meaningful rather than just pupils saying whether they have/haven't met it. Could be mini-whiteboards again to show they can do more now than they could at the start of the lesson.
    Hope this helps.

3. cuffin

cuffin New commenter

Wow! What a reply! You're so kind and generous with your time! I appreciate you could have been doing your own work / enjoying a fine wine!
    I was thinking then:
    a) a worksheet for each student - match the picture with the time.
    b) whiteboards to review the previous lesson
    c) begin teaching the next part .45 and emphasis on the 24hr
    d) carousel - 1 group doing time dominoes and the second group doing something else I haven't thought of yet
    e) Review and plenary - throw a ball to a pupil, say a time in English and they have to say the French equivalent?
    f) pray us gets a good review for my NQT tutor!

How does that sound?