1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT observation grades?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by pinkflipflop, Oct 14, 2011.

1. You are a qualified teacher so you will be judged by the same criteria as any other qualified teacher.

2. Not necessarily true. I think I am right in saying that you are only required to be observed in relation to the core standards (i.e. strengths and areas for development). Some schools, like mine, may also observe you against Ofsted criteria as they would with more experienced teachers. Hope this helps.

3. As an NQT I was given development points but was also graded against OFSTED criteria so my first development points were to move me from satisfactory to good and by the end of the year I was gaining good observations so suggestions were how to make my lessons outstanding. Since my observations refected my normal practice (I didn't do anything different for observations), I was happy with good. I can sustain that. I couldn't sustain outstanding all the time.

4. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

I personally think it depends on the observer. I have had one NQT observation so far and was judged as ofsted outstanding, and I don't particularly understand why the lesson was given that grade if you get me! At the time I felt that the lesson was enjoyable for the kids, but I could also see lots of places that I could have improved on so It brought me to the conclusion that perhaps they do judge NQT obs on Ofsted but are a bit kinder on you?

5. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I've also had a lesson graded outstanding, and one good with outstanding features. The children were engaged and learnt in the lesson, but it certainly wasn't a wow lesson! I have a strong suspicion that my Head was being kinder in the grading than she would be with an experienced teacher!

6. During the summer term of my GTP year, I was observed weekly, supposedly against Ofted criteria, and came out as outstanding in all but one observation, which came out as good. These observations were carried out by different people, university tutors, uni course leaders, school mentor, headteacher.... so I was fairly confident it wasn't just my mentor trying to be kind to me.
    When I started my NQT year last year, I was observed by an ofsted inspector in the first couple of weeks and came out as a satisfactory. I was gutted.
    I was then observed a couple of weeks later by the head and came out as satisfactory again. I asked what I could do to improve, and was told, "not much really" !
    Like a poster above, I didn't really do much more for observations than I would normally do, because I want to know what my everyday practice is judged as, rather than an all-singing, all-dancing performance which does not represent the normal teaching and learning in my classroom.
    By the end of my NQT year, I was consistently getting "good with elements of outstanding" for my observations. I wonder if the head just wanted me to show some progress across the year, because I couldn't really see any perceiveable difference in my teaching. (Although I suppose I had learned what ticked his boxes, so maybe it is all just a hoop-jumping exercise after all?)
    I was only judged by ofsted criteria during my NQT observations, by the way, as I was told this would be the case for performance management observations over the next few years.
    I wish someone had sat me down at the beginning of my NQT year and told me that, for whatever reason, NQTs seem to be judged more harshly than students and that, at the end of the day, as long as you are at least "satisfactory", it doesn't really matter. It took me a long time to get over the knock to my confidence that the first "satisfactory" gave me, and the feeling that the head gave me that "satisfactory" actually meant "not good enough".