1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT- NOTICE- STRESS-HELL

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Teacher2208, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Teacher2208

Teacher2208 New commenter

Hi all!

I am an NQT and handed my notice in October this year. I tried to negotiate early release after a large amount of hidden bullying and harassment. I have been signed off by my doctor with WRS until my contract release date December 31st.

This is probably the worst hell I have been through! I am not the only teacher to have experienced this from the HT and SLT- at least 40 or so before me. Since being off sick I have felt much better away from the school (thank goodness). Hoping to hear of stories/ advice from others!

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Can I get out earlier than December 31st?

Thank you! :D

2. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

If you’re signed off until the end of your contract you are out technically, aren’t you?

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this. I went through a similar thing last year and it was horrible, but things got better and I’m very happy now. This is one job, try not to let it define you. Take care of yourself you have a month to get yourself sorted, put yourself first and make the most of it.

Shedman, tosh740, Teacher2208 and 6 others like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You wouldn't want another date anyway.

It would be a dead giveaway that something had gone badly awry as it wouldn't be one of the three dates in the year that nearly all schools abide by. Questions would be asked and it would be assumed you had basically been got rid of.

You're signed off. You will be paid. Leave it be now. Take heed of what @Billie73 told you. Onwards and upwards. Best wishes.

4. EllaEnchanted

EllaEnchanted New commenter

Been there and am still alive... completely understand what you must have been through but it gets better once you are out of the place.
    All the stories about NQTs leaving with WRS raise serious questions on the effectiveness of the NQT induction process in some schools as the promises of support during the Induction are seldom fulfilled..
    Sending all the positivity and support your way..you did the right thing.

Teacher2208 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry it's ended like that.
    If you negotiate an earlier release date, you don't get paid (although of course some academies don't give much sick pay for a while to new employees). You also end up with the strange leaving date highlighted by @grumpydogwoman that might cause problems.
    I would suggest taking the time to get your head straight and thinking about your strategies to avoid these problems in your next job. I'd also pamper myself with relaxed evenings, cups of tea unregulated by bells and proper lunchtimes.
    Good luck

Shedman, Teacher2208 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Teacher2208

Teacher2208 New commenter

Thank you so much @grumpydogwoman for your advice about the leaving dates. When you're in a bad situation it is difficult to think beyond what is happening right now.

From what I have experienced I think it will be a while before I can go into a full teaching post again. Luckily other teachers have spoken to me to reassure me it's definitely not my fault! Apparently I was 'too good' for an NQT- AHAHAH???!!!

EllaEnchanted likes this.