1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"NQT not making enough progress"- term end report

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by IBDey, May 16, 2019.

1. IBDey

IBDey New commenter

Hi, I am an NQT, currently at the final term of induction. My 2nd term induction report said I am not making enough progress. Does that mean I have not passed the second term and may not pass the final assessment as well. As of my understanding, an NQT needs to make progress across three terms. What is the line between "making progress" and "not making enough progress". Please help.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You only pass/fail the final assessment; there is no pass/fail in terms 1 and 2. The idea is that you shhould improve your professional skills and knowledge during the year so that you meet the professional standards by the end - it's understood that very few will meet all the standards perfectly on day 1 of their NQT year, or even in term 1. So the assessment is at the end.
    You need urgently to discuss progress or otherwise with your Mentor.You need to work out together whether you will pass the final assessment. We can't make that judgement from here. If you're not going to pass, there are difficult and urgent decisions to be made. There is plenty of advice on that in this forum already, but you will need union advice and support too.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

As with any judgement related to teaching, this 'line' is subjective. It's up to your school.

If the school feel it is unlikely they can 'pass' you at the end of term 3, they will tell you, and offer you the chance to resign and save your final term so you can complete it elsewhere.

As well as your union you can seek support from the 'named person' who is responsible for NQT induction at your LA.

pepper5 likes this.