1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT no job seemingly little or no support...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Lewissj, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Sorry if the title is a bit Tom Chance (showing my age there) but I'm (not the only one) in a fix. Having just completed my PGCE I'm a 41 year old male Primary NQT with no job for September and I feel like I've been left high and dry. At the moment, with schools off it feels like there is no support, no one I can turn to - I have three messages outstanding with course tutors and my union rep. I don't really know why I posting here because as I write it just sounds like a right whinge and not much else. But still, it's another route for getting it off my chest.
    I have signed up for supply work and I have also negotiatied (wrong verb methinks) some time volunteering in a local school too come September. So I am trying to be positive. It was mentioned to me that a few more vacancies come out in August, but so far I haven't seen any.
    Can anybody offer any enlightenment?

2. Sorry if the title is a bit Tom Chance (showing my age there) but I'm (not the only one) in a fix. Having just completed my PGCE I'm a 41 year old male Primary NQT with no job for September and I feel like I've been left high and dry. At the moment, with schools off it feels like there is no support, no one I can turn to - I have three messages outstanding with course tutors and my union rep. I don't really know why I posting here because as I write it just sounds like a right whinge and not much else. But still, it's another route for getting it off my chest.
    I have signed up for supply work and I have also negotiatied (wrong verb methinks) some time volunteering in a local school too come September. So I am trying to be positive. It was mentioned to me that a few more vacancies come out in August, but so far I haven't seen any.
    Can anybody offer any enlightenment?

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

There are 3 current job adverts on the TES jobs site for 'bog standard' primary teachers in the UK, 2 full time, 1 maternity cover. All seem to be for a Sept start.

4. A lot of NQTs in your position. I think it depends on the area you are in and the posts you have been looking for. I was an NQT last year and there was even less around last year in the East Midlands where I live so I completed my NQT year by taking a maternity cover and then a fixed temr contract until the end of the year. I was very fortunate in that the school I was employed in offered me a perm post, although I turned it down. I have taken on a temp (with a view to perm) post elsewhere for this year. It was my 4th interview and of the 4 interviews I attended two of the schools were totally wrong for me and I withdrew.
    I don't know what you have been apllying for but temporary posts have helped me get a foot in the door and have led to me gaining experience at two very different schools during my NQT year. I know at the start of the applications (Feb/Mar) many NQTs were just applying for perm posts but you really have to apply for anything and everything.
    If you aren't getting interviews then you really need to look carefully at your application because it obviously isn't showing you in your best light and ticking the school's boxes (the clickables in the job seekers forum are a good place to start to remedy this). If you are getting interviews but not the job then you need think about the feedback you have been given and work on that, improve your interview techniques and perhaps look at your interview lessons.
    Perhaps I was very lucky that I got the first job I applied for last year (mat cover) and the first job I applied for for Jan (foxed term contract) and was then offered a perm post but got offered a job at the 4th interview I went for.
    How many jobs have you applied for? How many interviews have you been to?

5. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

Hey,

I am sorry to hear that :( Although I can't advise you on anything; I had a discussion with a head teacher whilst on placement, and she recommended doing exactly what you've already done.

Good luck on finding a post :)

6. Hi Bobby_Carrot, thanks for taking the time to answer me. I'm a little stuck geographically - have three boys one of whom starts year 11 this sept and the middle one yr 7.Obviously don't want to be disturbing them by moving. I've applied for about 15 jobs so far - initially quite close to home but more recently farther away so struggling with that 'to visit or not to visit' conundrum. I've had one interview - that was at a school where I had a placement - two other students from my course were also interview, suffice to say that none of us got it. What do you mean by the clickables in the job seekers' forum?
    I don't feel that my course spent nearly enough time preparing us for applying for jobs - half a day's lecture? We certainly weren't told "look guys, it's cut throat out there" so I certainly laboured under severals illusions that I had time to concentrate on getting the course passed and then looking for a job... more fool me eh?
    But, like I said, I have made provisions for Sept in terms of supply and / or volunteering. That said, I am no age to be messing about looking for work and we have no savings to fall back on either (a bad few years in self-employment has seen to that).
    Thanks pumpkinsoup - I know I'm not the only one. Curiously, it does make one feel better...
    Feel better now, thanks for your help and advice.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

To be fair that is about the same amount of time many ITT providers spend teaching students how to teach PE, or Phonics, or similar. I'd not be too thrilled to find ITT providers were spending much more time than this on job applications.

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/77.aspx

Click on the top thread on this forum and you will see a long list of help for applications.

8. ta muchly minnieminx

9. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

It's small consolation, I know, but I understand exactly how you feel.
    I graduated in '07, as a mature student, and the job market was no better than it is now. (I'm in the NE) I applied for primary jobs for a Sept start and got nowhere. I did supply, it was mostly day-to-day stuff and I kept on filling out applications.
    I was so disheartened when I got no response. Eventually, I filled in in over 150 applictions and had 13 interivews before finally landing a two term post, which eventually became permanent.
    All I can tell you is, keep trying. Supply, whilst irregular, is fabulous experience and gives you a lot of things to add to your letters of application when applying for posts.
    And look at TheoGriff's advice. It's good stuff
    Best of luck.

10. If you have applied for 15 jobs and had one interview at a school in which you were known then I'd say you need to look very closely at what you are putting on your applications. Follow up on other threads for tips and pitfalls. Check, check and double check (which I'm sure you will have done) for obvious things like spelling errors etc, most heads won't look any further if they spot a mistake.

11. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Have you tried the careers service at the university, although the tutors may be off, most services still operate over summer. They can provide general advice in the quality of your application and some guidance on the basics. As far as induction posts are concerned the job market is very regional and the obvious advice is to spread your search area geographically as wide as possible. September is very slow for supply work so you will need to register this multiple agencies do also check whether any LA's hacve NQT pools still open and when they start again for next year.

12. Yes I agree - if you have applied for 15 jobs and only received 1 interview then you need to look at your application. You are probably saying the same as every other applicant who has just qualified, you need an edge to make you stand out. As a mature entrant to profession myself, I have used experience prior to my teaching, inclusing excellent behaviour management gained working in a referral unit, experience working in the community with parents with a Sure Start and experience on transition as a Year 6 TA and also as a Year 7 personal tutor in two different roles I have had. When I applied to a mainstream school with a autistic support centre attached, I highlighted experience working with children with autism and training I had received in that.
    Sorry if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs here.
    You also need to make sure you are not sending generic applications and find an 'angle' for the school. For example, a school that hs a creative approach, send something different to the usual application letter (I did an x-factor style application for a school that advocated creativity and got an interview and the job). If the school is very conservative, stick to the traditional letter approach.
    Executive summaries are a brilliant way of showing how YOU meet the person spec (essential and desirable). I often skim over the essential and show it and then really big up the desirable as this is likely to be the stuff not everyone has.
    How to get shortlisted - https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6008055
    How not to get shortlisted - https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6008064 (read this and be critical with yourself. Which mistakes are you making?)
    FAQs - https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6010325
    And use the jobseekers forum. I found it an invaluable place for support when job hunting.
    You can take my advice or not but I think my hit rate is pretty good and I am passing on what I have learned through applying for posts. I sent out 3 applications last year with no interview before I came across the advice in the job seaking forum. Read and acted. Applied for mat cover job and got my first interview and then got the job. Then was applying for new posts, applied for two and got interviews for both. Was offered the first one I was interviewed for (fixed term contract) so withdrew from second. Was offered a perm contract at this school but turned it down as it wasn't the right school for me so was job hunting for September.
    Applied for about 7 or 8 jobs and got interviews for 4 of those posts. Two of these were not right for me. One I withdrew during interview (school was like hell on earth so would have been out of frying pan and into fire so may as well have stayed where I was) and second the ICT just fell apart and my interview lesson was pants, but there were other things I saw during the interview morning where I knew the school wasn;t for me so was unsurprised (and not in the least disappointed) at not being taken through to afternoon. I came second in one of the interviews (they took on their GTP student) and I was the only person interviewed who had no prior connection with the school. He recommened me to the head at the school where I had my 4th interview. I was shortlisted, interviewed and got the post :)
    Or maybe I've just been lucky ;-)

13. Robfreeman

Robfreeman New commenter

I have sent off in the region of 20 applications for a variety of jobs about 12 were in schools. So far I have failed to even get an interview. Each time I have asked for feedback which the schools have very politey provided, every time saying there was nothing wrong with the application however they wanted someone who was better qualified to teach or who could do additional duties.
    Reasons include the following.
    1. We wanted someone who could run our D of E and extra curricular activities and you dont have any AT qualifications.
    2. To be honest you were the most qualified however we wanted a first and you didnt have one (had that a few times)
    3. You showed no enthusiasm or motivation towards the education of children (thats it word for word), they missed my degree in education, vast amounts of volunteer work in schools and youth clubs.
    4. The position has already been filled by the internal.
    5. We wanted experience.
    6. We don't think you have much to contribute to the ethos of the school.
    So don't worry mate, your not alone ive been out of work for 14 months now, not even managed to get a single days worth of supply. I live in south yorkshire where I have qualified myself out of the job market and havent got the ability to move at the moment.

14. Robfreeman,
    I would suggest that for some of that feedback the answer will be in the words/examples you have chosen for your letter of application.
    Do you talk about having a passion for teaching? Drive to be an excellent teacher? Do you mention any interests that you could bring to the school - like you play badminton so could run an afterschool club? Do you give an example of how your personal teaching ethos fits with that of the school?
    You can't expect a school to read between the lines in an application - you have to be explicit and make yourself stand out as the individual you are, so don't expect them to see your degree in education and think - ' oh yes this guy is passionate', it doesn't work like that.
    Again, not trying to be patronising but I got my job back in Feb with very few applications in a hideous job market (primary SW), so I know doing those things can help. I am also a mature entrant with a strong recruitment and HR background for the 9 years before that.
    Good luck for when the jobs start appearing again.

15. Could be worse, as a recently qualified primary teacher in Ireland 15 applications is nothing, I have applied for 120 jobs so far and, to date, have secured one interview. I have good Teaching Practice grades, a plethora of voluntary experience and glowing references. I think that one way ticket to England might be on the cards if next weeks interview is not a success, I don't have the energy or the funds to apply for any more jobs in this country!