1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

nqt nightmare

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by harry1978, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Hi Pooney. I am very sorry to hear this about your daughter. But not all that suprised it happens. This bullying and harrassment of NQT's does seem to happen in schools.
    I also went through some very very rough times in my previous post. Although covering for Maternity, I was made to feel inadequate very quickly into my induction year. However, I hope your daughter is now recovering from her stress illness. You have to have the stress related illness to see how painful and dangerous it can be. For me it was like your daughter - I kept playing ball, thinking things would get better and I could focus on my teaching and learning but no, the SLT and the people you describe as mentors and heads made my life sh'it and unbearable.
    I went through a series of events that ebbed away at my self confidence and before a neutral person told me, I did not have a clue what was going on - probably the naivity that these bas/tards prey upon. We are cheaper to employ and easier to manipulate - fact. This is why your daughter has gone through this. It is now ingrained at certain school environments and it is nigh impossible to root out. Your daughter's confidence will be down understandably- only she knows by how much. For me it took the better part of 10 weeks to recover (after I left the school), in order to carry on and earn a living (doing supply at the moment at some really tough secondary schools). I remember when I visited the doctor, I felt like a dead man walking, thats what it felt like - noone to talk to, trapped, pressurised, exhausted and demotivated. So I know what your daughter is feeling - kind of.
    There is hope though. Your daughter needs time and space away from teaching for a while. Tell her to not think about teaching or jobs at all for a good few weeks. Tell her to eat and drink well and also exercise regularly. Get her mind into something she enjoys doing. All this 'other' than teaching attitude is necessary for what she has been through. This will enable her to think clearer - and then make rational decisions for her own future.
    Please PM me if you need a one to one.
    H.
    ps. I have been doing supply and I will get references from schools I have worked at. I presume your daughter's ex school will not provide a decent reference but you have to tell the school that the reference just needs to state that she worked there with no bull/sh/it attached.

2. I've been through a similar experience to Harry and agree with much of what he says... I would encourage your daughter to try supply - even if it's just a day it'll either boost her confidence or make firm in her mind that a career change is really the best course for her.
    I certainly understand your point that it feels like there is no comeback - some schools annually take on NQTs and put them through the ringer and there appears to be no means to complain or to warn prospective NQTs of what their experiences in certain schools might be. I just feel sorry for these teachers who are clearly so stressed/messed up that the only way they can derive some sort of pleasure from their lives is to attack the weakest (NQTs).

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Sorry to hear your daughter has had such a hard time.
    Just bear in mind that this forum is not representative of the experience of the majority of NQTs. People are much more likely to post when there are problems. There are plenty of supportive schools out there and potential NQTs should not be too worried.
    Do be wary of what you are told when it is heresay. Also, I do question the wisdom of a CoG sharing information with the parent of a member of staff. Seems very unorthodox.
    Anyhow, I do hope that your daughter recovers from her experience and is able to get her life back on track.

4. Hi Pooney,
    I really feel for your daughter and you. I was constantly crying to my mum about my previous job and I know she found it really stressful seeing me so distressed.
    I was in a similiar situation. Won't go into the details but it was pretty horrendous. I would recommend your daughter sign up with an agency today and supply for a while. I was sick with nerves on my first supply day but it really helped my confidence (which had been shattered) and I got my life back - no planning, very little marking, little responsiblity and if I didn't like a school/ class I didn't have to go back.
    I was only a supply for a couple of weeks and then got offered maternity cover. Before accepting I went to school and observed class, sat in the staff room at lunch time, and (most importantly) spoke to the class teacher (in private) about what the school and SLT were like and after that I accepted the job.
    I can't believe the difference - in one school I was told I was cr'ap, couldn't teach and basically did everything wrong, and in my school now they keep telling me how well I'm doing and how happy they are with my class and me.
    What your daughter needs to do ( and it's easier said than done) is to pick herself up and get out there again. Teaching is tough but it is sooooooooooo much easier when people don't put you down all the time and as a supply you can do what you are trained to do.
    I wish your daughter all the luck in the world and hope everyhing works out for her.