1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT needs help!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by kitkatgirl, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi,I am a mature NQT in Wales. I completed GTP in June2010 in a local school, after working there for approx 20 years. After I finished course I was told no job for me! I joined a supply agency, I have been with them since Feb 2012, I usually get 3 days a week and have had good feedback from the schools I have taught in. But, what happens with my NQT, I know Wales is 5 years but am starting to feel despondent as not many jobs in Wales. Sorry to sound so hard done by, but all the promises made to me came to nothing with a change of SMT.
    <font size="3">

<font>
    </font></font>

2. Hi,I am a mature NQT in Wales. I completed GTP in June2010 in a local school, after working there for approx 20 years. After I finished course I was told no job for me! I joined a supply agency, I have been with them since Feb 2012, I usually get 3 days a week and have had good feedback from the schools I have taught in. But, what happens with my NQT, I know Wales is 5 years but am starting to feel despondent as not many jobs in Wales. Sorry to sound so hard done by, but all the promises made to me came to nothing with a change of SMT.
    <font size="3">

<font>
    </font></font>

3. Sorry to hear of your position Kitkatgirl.
    I was in a similar position having completed my PGCE in July '11. I ended up on supply and got lucky with a 4 month contract which allowed me to complete first term of induction.
    I'm now teaching in England on a maternity contract, but still living in Waels... Is this an option for you??
    Not much else i can say really apart from you're not alone.

4. Thanks for that, just having 'a poor me' day. I meant to write I finished my GTP in 2011, so fed up got the year wrong!!.
    I haven't thought of England, mainly because of bridge toll, but maybe something I should look at.
    Thanks again and best of luck to you.

5. It was a big consideration for me too, but the chance to finish NQT induction and a years contract outweighed that for me.
    I decided to get a TAG which reduces the cost, but am having a nightmare getting it delivered!!!!! Still, when that's all sorted i'll save a VERY small fortune...
    Good luck with the hunt, you certainly are in the right place for great advice and support.

6. From September this year trhe 5 year rule (as is in Wales) will also apply in England.If you complete induction in either country it will be valid.
    The Sage

7. Many thanks for that, just a thought what happens if you don't complete in time limit, is there such a thing as an extentsion? [​IMG]

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The 5 year rule in Wlaes, expected shortly in England, is a time limit for being able to teach on a non-Induction basis in the State compulsory sector.
    The 5 years is a replacement for the 16 month allowance + any LA extension of up to a 12 months maximum. Thus, the 5 year allowance does not have an extension option.
    The 5 year allowance is not a time limit for completing Induction!
    There is not time limit for completing Induction.
    If you use up the 5 year non-Induction supply allowance and still haven't started or completed Induction, you can still complete Induction at any point in the future when you can secure a term's equivalent of teaching (or more) at a school.
    What you can't do after your supply allowance has expired is take any more non-Induction teaching days in a State 5-16 school.
    There are no restrictions on taking temporary, non-Induction teaching in the Private Sector (any age) or on teaching work in the State Post 16 sector.
    If you get a longer placement in Post 16, you can be regsitered for Induction and the establishment, if it agrees to Induction, has to find you about 10 days teaching in an 11-16 school to meet the regulations.
    As you started supply work in February 2012, you still have quite a few years to be employed on non-Induction supply teaching and can, of course, undertake Induction terms during the 5 year allowance period.
    An Induction term can start at any point in a school term.
    A school has to regsieter you on Induction, with a reduced timetable, if it is known from the strat that you are intended to be still employed at the same point in the next term and will be teaching a regular timetable (even if they alter it during the placement for a different regular timetable) for which you will be required to plan and assess. That is applicable whether you are employed f/t or p/t, but obviously an Induction term would need the placement to last longer than a school term equivalent for na Induction term to be completed.
    By being registered, even when p/t and only expected initialy to be there for aterm's length, the service can still be valid for Induction in cases where the placement is extended.
    Registration with the LA needs to be actioned without delay in supply teaching bookings as backdating is not possible and extending the placement might be impossible if they delay registration. At least in a permanent post any delayed registration is sorted by the teacher staying on into another school year.
    Supply teachers need to take control, see the Induction supervisor at the school and make sure that regsitration has been actioned or is in the pipeline during their first week at work, checking witht he LA in the second week to make sure that the paperwork has been received.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The 5 year rule in Wlaes, expected shortly in England, is a time limit for being able to teach on a non-Induction basis in the State compulsory sector.
    The 5 years is a replacement for the 16 month allowance + any LA extension of up to a 12 months maximum. Thus, the 5 year allowance does not have an extension option.
    The 5 year allowance is not a time limit for completing Induction!
    There is not time limit for completing Induction.
    If you use up the 5 year non-Induction supply allowance and still haven't started or completed Induction, you can still complete Induction at any point in the future when you can secure a term's equivalent of teaching (or more) at a school.
    What you can't do after your supply allowance has expired is take any more non-Induction teaching days in a State 5-16 school.
    There are no restrictions on taking temporary, non-Induction teaching in the Private Sector (any age) or on teaching work in the State Post 16 sector.
    If you get a longer placement in Post 16, you can be regsitered for Induction and the establishment, if it agrees to Induction, has to find you about 10 days teaching in an 11-16 school to meet the regulations.
    As you started supply work in February 2012, you still have quite a few years to be employed on non-Induction supply teaching and can, of course, undertake Induction terms during the 5 year allowance period.
    An Induction term can start at any point in a school term.
    A school has to regsieter you on Induction, with a reduced timetable, if it is known from the strat that you are intended to be still employed at the same point in the next term and will be teaching a regular timetable (even if they alter it during the placement for a different regular timetable) for which you will be required to plan and assess. That is applicable whether you are employed f/t or p/t, but obviously an Induction term would need the placement to last longer than a school term equivalent for na Induction term to be completed.
    By being registered, even when p/t and only expected initialy to be there for aterm's length, the service can still be valid for Induction in cases where the placement is extended.
    Registration with the LA needs to be actioned without delay in supply teaching bookings as backdating is not possible and extending the placement might be impossible if they delay registration. At least in a permanent post any delayed registration is sorted by the teacher staying on into another school year.
    Supply teachers need to take control, see the Induction supervisor at the school and make sure that regsitration has been actioned or is in the pipeline during their first week at work, checking witht he LA in the second week to make sure that the paperwork has been received.

10. Many thanks for that, I have nobody I can ask and when I have I have been told I have to complete an M.A, time is running out etc! So felt quite defated and lost before I had started.
    A year ago my furture looked so different and I was happily going along and had no idea I would be looking for another job/jobs. BUT, if I don't make the most of it, they will have won. SMT are not at home thinking of me, so I am not going to think of them.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, this forum has helped by making me realise other people have been treated appallingly and have come through the other side. Your info was brilliant.Thanks again.