1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT needs help with behaviour of year 1 children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma891234, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm an NQT in year 1. This is my second week of teaching and I am struggling with dealing with the behaviour in my class. The children are getting worse everyday. I do star of the day, house points and I hand out lots of stickers for good sitting on the carpet and for good manners and work etc. I also do positivie reinforcement and try to make my voice low and deep and I try not to shout and instead I tell the chn I am very dissapointed and sad.

I come across as a quiet person and I am not the most confident. I am trying my best to be firm with the chn but im now questioning whether I am infact being firm enough. We made rules for the water area yet the chn are always splashing outside the water tray and today chn were running around the class with water containers. I closed the water area. They were being silly with the laptops yesterday and so I took away the laptops. I praised and rewarded the chn who were playing nicely and told them they can have nice things to play with if they show me they can follow the rules. They are terrible with lining up and so I told them we are going to practise how to line up quietly but this hasn't really worked. I amh thinking of having a jar and adding marbles to it if the whole class line up quietly and then once they reach the top they will get a treat of their choice.

There is continuous provision in my class and the noise gets far too loud. I struggle to hear the chn I am working with and I often stop them reminding them to use their indoor voice. I've tried putting on classical music whilst they are working/playing but their noise level drowns the music. Also, tidying up is proving to be a pain. They started off well but now they have become very lazy and they do not all help with tidying up. I tried putting on some music to help them tidy but then they just end up dancing and no tidying gets done.

The chn are constantly fussing and shouting out and fidgeting and each day and they are pushing me more and more. I am starting to get very stressed and mad with them and I don't want to feel like this because then they will know that they have pushed my buttons. I really want to improve my behaviour management techniques. Please could anyone advice me on how I can get my year 1 chn to behave and how to tackle the noise issue. I had a placement during my pgce in year 1, however, it was during the summer term and so they were older and my behaviour management startegies worked with them but I am struggling with my current class.

2. Hi
    I'm an NQT in year 1. This is my second week of teaching and I am struggling with dealing with the behaviour in my class. The children are getting worse everyday. I do star of the day, house points and I hand out lots of stickers for good sitting on the carpet and for good manners and work etc. I also do positivie reinforcement and try to make my voice low and deep and I try not to shout and instead I tell the chn I am very dissapointed and sad.

I come across as a quiet person and I am not the most confident. I am trying my best to be firm with the chn but im now questioning whether I am infact being firm enough. We made rules for the water area yet the chn are always splashing outside the water tray and today chn were running around the class with water containers. I closed the water area. They were being silly with the laptops yesterday and so I took away the laptops. I praised and rewarded the chn who were playing nicely and told them they can have nice things to play with if they show me they can follow the rules. They are terrible with lining up and so I told them we are going to practise how to line up quietly but this hasn't really worked. I amh thinking of having a jar and adding marbles to it if the whole class line up quietly and then once they reach the top they will get a treat of their choice.

There is continuous provision in my class and the noise gets far too loud. I struggle to hear the chn I am working with and I often stop them reminding them to use their indoor voice. I've tried putting on classical music whilst they are working/playing but their noise level drowns the music. Also, tidying up is proving to be a pain. They started off well but now they have become very lazy and they do not all help with tidying up. I tried putting on some music to help them tidy but then they just end up dancing and no tidying gets done.

The chn are constantly fussing and shouting out and fidgeting and each day and they are pushing me more and more. I am starting to get very stressed and mad with them and I don't want to feel like this because then they will know that they have pushed my buttons. I really want to improve my behaviour management techniques. Please could anyone advice me on how I can get my year 1 chn to behave and how to tackle the noise issue. I had a placement during my pgce in year 1, however, it was during the summer term and so they were older and my behaviour management startegies worked with them but I am struggling with my current class.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

My strongest piece of advice is not to ever talk over them.... When you want to say something, wait until every single person is looking at you. Otherwise, once they realise they can carry on regardless of if you're talking or not, they will do. And more will join in. Stand firm, take away privileges from those repeat offenders, it sounds like you're being very lovely and need to actually be a bit horrible. I've spent 2 weeks being absolutely horrid to my year 2s, taking no nonsense and taking playtime and things away from them, and they're only just starting to learn now that they will lose playtime for kicking someone or pulling their hair, or not getting on with their work! Last piece of advice - always follow through on threats. I usually find a warning, and then immediate sanction, like minutes off playtime is the best, and make sure they have it the following playtime. No good waiting till 3 days later when they've forgotten why they even lost it! Stand firm, be strong. It's your classroom and what you do now will set the tone for the whole year and I bet you don't want to feel like this all year do you?! Think about what you want your classroom to look like, write it down even, how you're going to get it that way and then put it into action. if you are still struggling, tell your NQT mentor! Don't suffer in silence, that's what they're there for. They may have solutions!

4. my advice would be to always be consistent

talk to chn about rules, consequences and rewards and the follow through every time
    and be nice to yourself they will learn!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

that was my thought exactly. You keep saying I'm rewarding them in this way and that way. I've tried this and that and it hasn't worked. You can only have been at school for a couple of weeks at most, so of course it hasn't worked yet. All classes are horrible in September. You need to decide what your rewards will be, few but frequently applied is best. And also, what you don't seem to have done, is decide on sanctions for offenders. Not the whole class, just those being naughty.

Closing the water area punishes everyone, but probably only half a dozen at most were being naughty. The rest will see no point in being good if they are punished anyway. Anyone I saw running around with water would have been sternly spoken to (I'm not sad or disappointed, actually I'm cross and my voice would have communicated that) and made to sit out for a while. Anyone being very good would have been praised loudly to high heaven to make the contrast.

You need to get tough and have some sanctions.