1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT needing help with displays for Sept!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by melaniejones85, Jul 31, 2017.

1. melaniejones85

melaniejones85 New commenter

Hello,

I'm an NQT and I went to my new classroom today and found myself staring at the blank walls for a long time trying to prioritise what needs to be on them! I don't want to overwhelm the children and I definitely want the displays to be useful during lessons. Are there any experienced year 2 teachers out there who can help tell me what would be the most helpful info to put up? TIA

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

does your school have specific areas that you have to have eg. working walls for maths and English, topic board etc. I'd find this out first before starting.

3. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Essentials:

School rules
    Visual timetable
    Birthdays
    Reward/behaviour system (depending on school policy)
    Maths display - 100 square, number line to 100, practical resources nearby to choose from eg. Base 10, wipeable number lines, arrow cards
    English display - will depend on your first topic but probably involving key vocabulary/spelling words
    I would also produce either laminated spelling mats or have a display with laminated words children can take to help with spelling
    Display to promote reading for pleasure in your book corner
    Topic display with key vocabulary

Juliet6079 likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek:
    @alexanderosman I'm going to disagree with you here as well, I'm sorry. (I know that's two threads within five minutes, but that's just coincidence, it isn't personal and I'm sorry.)

I definitely wouldn't count many of those as essential at all.
    Rules: probably is school policy and you need to have something somewhere to refer to.
    Visual timetable: you can just write this vertically down the edge of the whiteboard each morning. Or have pictures on a window and give it to a child as a job. Definitely don't waste valuable display space on this.
    Birthdays: Never had these up, ever in any year group from 1-13. If you have heaps of space and want to fill it, then do so, otherwise don't.
    Reward/Behaviour system: Should NEVER be public in my opinion. However your school might have some stupid policy and it would be best to follow it.
    Maths display: Just a working wall if it suits you to have one. Absolutely have heaps of practical and tabletop resources, such as those above, but none at all need to be on display. Children need to use them at their desks.
    English: Again just your working wall if it's your thing. Wait until your class have done some work and then display it. I too have spelling mats and the like, but definitely not on display.
    Promotion of reading in the book corner
    Topic display with key vocab

Yeayyyyy agree with both of those! Thank goodness for that. :)

Your walls should start the year fairly empty, ready to put up children's work. When planning the first few weeks, plan for display work and get lots up quickly to build pride in the room.

Oh and DO NOT look at Pintrest. The people who have those displays aren't real people and normal classrooms look nothing at all like those.

teachercellar and Isobeleh like this.
  5. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

If you're a 2, 3 or 4 form entry then take a look at the other classrooms in your year group for inspiration. Even if you are 1 form then go explore.

Always talk to other teachers or your mentor before wasting time.

6. PRUman

PRUman New commenter

Look on pinterest for ideas once you have decided on what will to on each board.

7. alexanderosman

@caterpillartobutterfly I display birthdays as a lot of children need reinforcement of months of the year, particularly in ks1.
    Visual timetable - I agree, I didn't say a display board was needed for this, just that one was needed somewhere.
    I would say the vast majority of state schools have a behaviour system that involves a display of some kind.
    Maths and English- I didn't say that you would need to fill a board, only that boards would need to be set aside for these and actually specifically said the resources shouldn't be on display but available for children to take.

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Quite old fashioned IMO - generally people are starting to think behaviour management, particularly the negative side of things, Should be private. At my school, we are required to have the 'good' bit on the wall, but the 'bad' bit in a folder on our desk, so we are not publicising bad behaviour. The good bit is less than an a3 sheet in size though, certainly not a whole display!

9. alexanderosman

Generally where? Not in my area and there will always be differences between schools. I'm not going to get into a debate about behaviour management because that's off topic. I also didn't at any point say a whole board would be needed for this, just that there's usually some space needed.

10. TheGentleman

TheGentleman Occasional commenter

Bad behaviour chart should be public. Acts as a deterrent. Stop this fluffiness. It isn't a public flogging, just a reminder of what is expected - (puts on helmet and thick skin awaiting barrage of contrary views)

lardylady and Isobeleh like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

LOLOLOL I'm not known as the strictest teacher in the school for nothing.
    I totally agree with going mental over bad behaviour and similarly going absolutely OTT with praise for good behaviour. However once the incident is dealt with, then it's done and over.
    A chart lasting all week until golden time on Friday afternoon, showing who was a twit on Tuesday, who walloped someone on Wednesday and who just pee'd off the teacher on Thursday is not ok.

12. alexanderosman

When you replied to my post I had no idea it was that kind of display you were thinking of - that makes sense now. I meant something like sun/cloud, happy/sad face or a warning/missing playtime chart that is reset every day. Not saying they are what I would choose if I had free choice but it's highly likely the school behaviour policy would include something like this.

13. TheGentleman

14. caterpillartobutterfly

I am!!! ;)

Maybe I'm just too old to do all this gentle "If you carry on hitting Fred round the head with your pencil case, I'll need to move your name to the sad face." and I just go straight to super stern/cross "Stop that now! Ridiculous behaviour and NOT what we do in this class. Go and sit over there by yourself!"
    Once they get fed up by themselves and ask "Please Miss can I come back now?" they get the smiling response of "Yes, course you can. Behave properly this time though please and you might want to say something to Fred when you sit down." All done and dusted.

teachercellar, Isobeleh, fly and 5 others like this.
  15. TheGentleman

Isobeleh likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL Not everyone agrees...!

17. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

I like a smiley face system each day as it allows me to remember who I'm keeping in at break. I get very forgetful nowadays!

Oh and I can't stand the golden time rubbish. Thank goodness we don't do that.

18. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

One of my new pupils asked me on our transition day about having Golden Time, something that has happened as regular as clockwork for them all year. Yes, I know it's the tired teacher's Friday friend and all that, but I can't fit in all the stuff I HAVE to teach into a week, let alone the other stuff I WANT to teach. So it was a 'No' from me...

Except, of course, my response was "Every lesson with me is Golden Time!"

Child went away looking puzzled. I don't think Lower KS2 really do irony.

dnm, jarndyce, Isobeleh and 3 others like this.
  19. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

And I abhor those 'Slide your name over to the naughty side, Jeremy' displays, not just because they make bad behaviour so public (the same few kids being humiliated again and again) but mostly because my memory's so shot that (when forced to comply with whole-school policy) I can leave kids in the red zone for days with no recollection of why they were put there, until the thing is meaningless.

I'm with CaterpillartoButterfly on this - for most misdemeanours, the "rapid response, including apology and put it right, then come and rejoin civilisation" approach is all that is needed.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

I use that same phrase...love being in year 3 as I just tell them... "No in KS2 were are far to grown up for XYZ. That's for the babies in KS1."
    I prise myself on teaching both irony and sarcasm to a high standard. It is one of my strengths. :)
    Reminds me of the olden days when we used to send children out to stand in the corridor. They could be there all morning just because I forgot all about them...:oops:

teachercellar and galerider123 like this.