1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT needing help! Using formal lesson structures for SEN P1-P3

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by HindaS, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm an NQT about to start in a special needs school for children with autism, I have a range of ages in key stage 2 with a few just into year 7 but all are working on P levels between 1 and 3. I would really like to introduce a more formal structure to the day with short lessons in between choosing, snack, break etc. I'm finding this a real struggle to think how to do as a lot of the children have been allowed to choose for a lot of the time and coming away from their preferred activities is difficult for them, quite a few find sitting in one place for more than a few minutes difficult too.

Does anyone do this in their school with similar pupils? I really need some ideas on how I can get all the pupils together at the same time even if it's only for a minute or so and then what sort of activities we can do so they are aware that there is an expectation to be in a lesson but not an activity that places too much demand on their other skills. The children are all big and have no mobility issues so I can't get into battles with them about where they are as I won't win! Some can display aggressive behaviours too so I need to balance that to ensure I am keeping everyone safe and not putting too much stress on the children therefore leading to negative behaviours.

Any ideas would be welcome!

2. Hi
    I'm an NQT about to start in a special needs school for children with autism, I have a range of ages in key stage 2 with a few just into year 7 but all are working on P levels between 1 and 3. I would really like to introduce a more formal structure to the day with short lessons in between choosing, snack, break etc. I'm finding this a real struggle to think how to do as a lot of the children have been allowed to choose for a lot of the time and coming away from their preferred activities is difficult for them, quite a few find sitting in one place for more than a few minutes difficult too.

Does anyone do this in their school with similar pupils? I really need some ideas on how I can get all the pupils together at the same time even if it's only for a minute or so and then what sort of activities we can do so they are aware that there is an expectation to be in a lesson but not an activity that places too much demand on their other skills. The children are all big and have no mobility issues so I can't get into battles with them about where they are as I won't win! Some can display aggressive behaviours too so I need to balance that to ensure I am keeping everyone safe and not putting too much stress on the children therefore leading to negative behaviours.

Any ideas would be welcome!