1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT needing advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ateacher2018, May 5, 2019.

1. ateacher2018

ateacher2018 New commenter

I recently left a job due to a bad experience. As an NQT I should be receiving support such as a mentor but I wasn't even provided with sufficient support never. I was left alone to do my own thing. Without getting into too much detail my confidence was knocked and i left whilst I could still get out to successfully complete my NQT year elsewhere.

It has been approximately 10 weeks since I left my position in the school mentioned above. I have been receiving emails from the school asking for paperwork etc that should have been completed. Initially I replied to the emails, even though I had a bad experience I still wanted to leave on a good note. I tried to be helpful but the emails I was receiving started asking for paperwork work I hadn't completed. When I replied stating I was not aware it needed to be completed, other teachers were cc in on the email and it was stated that they did tell me. I know full well this was not the case and it has upset me to know that I'm being accused of such things. As an NQT I was not aware that it needed completing being new to the job and as no one told me how was I to know?

My main concern is, my confidence has been improving since I left the job. Everytime I now go onto my emails I get reminded of how low I got. It's making me doubt my ability again and I cannot stop thinking about everything. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I know when I was in the position I did everything I could with what I was given. I wanted to do well so why would I not complete something I should have completed? Even if no one can help I just needed to get this out there as I cannot stop thinking about the negative experience.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You have left the school and are ni longer employed by them. You therefore don't work for them. You should not have access any more to school systems and data. So you probably can't do the work that they are asking for. My suggestion is that you write politely, don't email (and get proof of posting, free from the post office) explaining this. You might offer to come back to the school to do the catch up being paid on a daily basis! You might also make clear that your mentoring was inadequate, well below that which is expected, and that this is likely a contributing factor.
    It's amazing how quickly people back down when firmly confronted.

3. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Why are you still receiving work emails from them? Your account should have been disabled as soon as you left.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ignore them or block them.

The school you left is obviously completely dysfunctional.

5. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Are you a member of a union? This is what they're here for! If they're asking for any kind of structured data regarding the students remember you have the GDPR to fall back on. Seek legal advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau (or whatever they call it these days) if you're not in a union.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Get your union to contact the school and tell them to stop contacting you. Block their emails . Do not reply to any

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Just block the emails or delete them on sight.

You should no longer have access to the system to complete it anyway.

Most of all, try and put it behind you now.

8. ateacher2018

Thank you all for you advice.

I deleted my school email but they message me through my private one. I didn't think about blocking their emails thanks for the suggestion. I feel better seeing your posts!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You left at half term...there can't possibly be any paperwork that you need to do now.
    Your term 1 was all signed off at the time and there is nothing else you need to do.

School based paperwork will be impossible for you to do now and it is madness for the school to ask.

Get your union to request the school stops hassling you.
    And you need to block their emails.

You are doing supply, so can get references from those schools/agencies for you next post.
    You don't need this school.

10. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

You are absolutely correct, a good mentor would have given you some good basic pointers.
    For example no double negative "you were never provided with sufficient support".

O.P. Read on before you prejudge.

You have left. Unless this paperwork is to directly help you in the continuance of your NQT then you don't need to do it.

Well they would say that...wouldn't they? Did any of them write it down either on paper or in an email?

Time is a great palliative.

Follow the advice given in post 4.

A problem shared is a problem halved as they say. Now you put it out there move on.

And one final thing ... Ask

Ask for more support.
    Ask how what paperwork needs completing
    Ask if you are doing things right.
    Ask how to improve.
    Ask the students about things as well.

Very few teachers start out perfect. Some improve massively during their first year of teaching. Others gradually improve.

I continue to learn... and I am long in the tooth. But then again whiteboards were new and trendy when I started teaching.

11. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Why is the school still bothering you after you left? If you were as bad as the school makes out (which I don't believe, by the way), surely there is someone else in your former department who could deal with the paperwork in question? I smell poor management here and therefore agree with the excellent advice given by previous posters on this thread. Btw, I'm speaking as a former HoD, PGCE mentor and Cover Teacher who had to deal with situations like the one you described when joining the colleges/schools that I was covering for.

12. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

To my way of thinking this sort of situation is rife within Schools and Shiny Academies.
    Learn from your experience and don't be afraid to move on from future nightmare scenarios as well.
    Good luck.

13. ateacher2018

Thank you for your comments. Like I said in my earlier comment I feel much better reading your advice.

Sorry for the double negative afterdark. I removed a sentence before I posted as I didn't want to give away too much just incase someone recognised me. I clearly didn't re-read the sentence properly:)

pepper5 likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Put it to bed.

Reply once and then never check those emails again.

"On my departure I had completed all essential paperwork to the best of my knowledge and ability within the deadlines that had been formally set for me. Please be aware that I am now working elsewhere and it would not therefore be appropriate for me to have access to pupil information from your establishment. I wish the students well in the coming weeks."

15. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Agreed with the above, this goes against all GDPR guidelines, and safeguarding ones too. Whoever is doing this, it’s completely unprofessional.

Don’t reply. Block. It’s even worse that the emails are coming to a personal email address!

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

I’d definitely be blocking their emails and rerouting them automatically to the Junk folder. They've no way of knowing if you still use that personal email address or not.

mothergoose2013 and ateacher2018 like this.
  17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Whilst, from what we have been told at least, it appears that this school is acting in a ludicrous manner, the OP hasn’t actually explained what ‘paperwork’ they have been asked for.

It is quite possible that there are no GDPR implications at all. There is certainly nothing here to suggest a SG concern.

Also, not all schools immediately terminate staff email accounts, some stay active for a specific period of time (such as a term), in case there is any need for further (perfectly reasonable) professional communication.

Eflmeister and ateacher2018 like this.
  18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I had a "little pause" for several years from a school.
    When I revisited the account on my return, there were several thousand admin e-mails to remind me why I left, lots of invitations to (nearly) prestigious conferences and several e-mails purporting to be from parents of former pupils stranded in various far flung places asking for me to send money urgently.
    I was also able to reaccess many of my old learning resources, although few of them remained relevant. I had of course backed up the useful resources on a memory stick before leaving.

pepper5, Piranha and ateacher2018 like this.
  19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I hope you did the decent thing and coughed-up...

20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Not all the children had had entirely positive relationships with me. I sent some supermarket vouchers and some kippers.

pepper5, Piranha and Pomza like this.