1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT needing advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rachelhughesx, Oct 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rachelhughesx

rachelhughesx New commenter

Hi all,

I recently decided to hand my notice in at my current workplace, due to lack of support. I did try to raise my concerns with SLT but they were very rude about it and didn't really acknowledge my concerns. II did contact my union, but didn't really want to bring them into the workplace as that would make situations a whole lot worse. I don't want to go into it too much, but it was really effecting my mental health, and I feel that NQT year is too important to be in a place which will not help me grow as a teacher. Anyway since I handed my notice in, it's got a lot worse and there isn't even communication anymore. My mentor doesn't even acknowledge me anymore and is just rude to me when she does acknowledge me.
    My first obs went well before I handed in my notice and I am still putting every effort in to support my class until I leave at Christmas. Now I worry because what if my mentor gives me a bad obs next term because she's still angry at the fact I've handed my notice in? Apparently they can tick a box at the end of next term that states something predicting that I will not pass the NQT year? But before I handed in my notice she said I was where I should be and she was pleased. Obviously now I'm worried as this could effect future work for me if I receive a bad obs next term? I have started applying for jobs now and have been offered interviews, but extremely worried now that my mentor isn't happy with me and will use this against me during my next observation?

Any advice would be great

Many thans

pepper5 likes this.
  2. 7eleven

7eleven Occasional commenter

Find out who the local authority person is who is responsible for NQTs. This will be easily done by say googling ‘Cornwall nqts’ and following links. If you don’t manage to do this and don’t mind saying roughly where you work, I’ll do it for you. Ring them for advice about getting through them next half term. Be very professional and don’t bad mouth the school. Make sure you’ve got copies of the feedback from any observations you’ve had and write down any positive comments you can remember being said to you.

Work hard, keep your head down and continue to do your best. Without knowing what’s happening at your school it’s impossible to comment, but term will soon be over.

3. Dixie_Stamford

Dixie_Stamford New commenter

Utterly terrible situation but you have done the right thing. When you know it's not right, you've got to go with your gut. Well done for this. I agree with 7eleven. Keep all your documentation and continue to be professional - only a few more weeks to go. With the madness of Christmas approaching too, hopefully the time will fly. In regards to your next observation - continue to do what you have always done. Don't worry too much about the outcome until it's placed in front of you. Easier said than done I know, but try not to worry. People come and go from schools all the time. You're not the first and won't be the last. Wishing you all the best.

pepper5 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you are getting interviews this must mean the current school has provided a reference that is acceptable - schools like to get references before interviews are carried out. This is good news for you!

If you are offered one of these jobs, your problem is solved. They won't withdraw the job offer on the basis of the NQT term 1 report (which won't be completed until December anyway). At interview simply say you don't feel your current school is the right fit, and you're looking for a school that can support you for the remainder of your NQT year.

Yes, your new mentor at your new school will be able to see the NQT report for term 1 when you start working there and it's transferred, but as long as your new mentor isn't anything like your current one they will be able to recognise very quickly that the report is not a true reflection of you or your teaching.

Schools know this stuff happens.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The box ticking merely says something like 'this person may not meet the standards' and your new school won't see it until you have started work there and share it with your new mentor. By then it will be perfectly fine to mention the reason you may not meet the standards would be because you were in a school that wasn't for you and that, now you are in this fabulously lovely new place, there should be no problem.

You should have got your union involved because they could support you in reassuring you about a decent enough reference. They can negotiate on your behalf with SLT to ensure that all goes to plan. Involving your union would not have made things worse for you, please don't ever make the mistake of thinking that.

Get yourself a lovely new post in a better school and you will be fine. Lots of NQTs move part way though, it matters not.

6. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Email tes and change your username. And listen to the above.

7. install

install Star commenter

Look at your referees again. You might want to be certain to choose someone you trust. Look also at your Letter of Application - again get someone you trust to look at it. Try to build some bridges .

Sadly some schools play games here and get a little miffed when some people choose to work elsewhere.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You are an NQT, your references will need to be your current head and someone from training, either a tutor or the head from a placement school. Trusting them or not doesn't come in to it, you must put your current head.

Also a letter of application someone can look over and check isn't what you want to be writing. What I might need you to emphasise in your letter for a post at my school will be different what someone in another school is looking for. Write with reference to the person spec and demonstrate how you meet each point. However, as you are getting interviews you are probably doing this already.

9. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

And talk to your union. Make sure you keep a record of your progress so if there is a sudden 'dip' in your progress, that can be questioned before you leave. It's unlikely that they will be deliberately vindictive but it's better to let them know that you are keeping an eye on it.

10. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Bless you, and what a predicament, but please..how can the situation now be any worse. As my postings show, I am very pro - union, and IMHO, you would have had some support from them and some advice. Unions are there to buffer you from the sort of rubbish treatment that you are receiving from your school now. You need to speak to them for advice in order to try and stop this happening to you or anyone else again. Your employers don't necessarily need to be aware you have done so. Can I also make a plea. Please be involved in your union and their work. It gives you a whole different perspective to your role as a teacher, and you will find it will also empower you to know what schools can and can't do to their staff.

11. rachelhughesx

It's getting a lot worse now, they are putting other NQT's in the school on training but not me. I understand they don't want to invest in me now I'm leaving but I thought that they would have to support me up until christmas. I feel sick at the thought of work, just hate it so much. I did contact my union and they said to go directly to the leader in that area, I just worry if I contact them directly they will go straight to the school and things will get worse? :(

12. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Get your head down and get through the term. It'll fly by as is the busiest one. I've met NQT's who've been "failing" in a school, left and been great elsewhere. Don't read too much into the training. From the school's perspective with tightened budgets why would they pay for a course and potentially extra class cover when you're leaving soon will be their thought process

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. rachelhughesx

I just feel I am not the same person when I entered the job. I feel I am constantly miserable and sad, and even in school I try and fake being happy. I feel like I'm such a rubbish teacher now and just feel like I am failing my kids due to my unhappiness of the way I am being treated :(

14. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Go back to the union at regional level. Insist that you need some support. Tell them it has gone beyond needing advice. If you don't get the support you need, ring them again and complain. This is what your union is here for. Please don't go through this by yourself.x

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

You're not the same person as when you entered the job, you have grown a lot since then. You're feeling miserable because of the situation you are in, but the good news is that's only temporary and I realise It's easyer said than done, but do try not take it personally. You do need support and the school should be providing it (as well as your reduction in timetabling). If you're not then let your local authority NQT link know as well as your union. Also look to your wider network for extra advice/support. Other teachers you know through your training for example or, If you've come from a university course, get in contact with your old tutor.

sabrinakat likes this.