1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT needing advice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lemonyk, Apr 28, 2011.

1. I began my NQT year in January and have completed my first term of induction. I did not look for jobs for sept 2010 as I was not sure if I wanted to teach but I worked in supply and was appointed at one of my supply schools. My first term was tough and has confirmed my initial thoughts that I do not want to pursue a career in teaching. I am dreading going back to school next week and can't bear the thought of having to continue to teach until the summer. I am on a contract at the school until august 2011 but I am wondering if I would be able to leave school before that. Am I able to go against my contract? Im just not sure if I can contiue as I know for definite that teaching is not for me and once I am going to look for other career options.
    If any body is able to advise me of what I am able to do I would be very grateful. I feel completely stuck and unsure and just dont know what to do!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

if you are still on induction then you should consider completing this as you may regret not finishing in future. If you are not and you don't plan to continue in teaching then the resignation dates are not appropriate and you should discuss this with the head to see about an early release. It is likely they will agree once they realise you plan to leave the profession.. The earlier you go the more time you then have to try and pursue other options.

3. Thank you for replying so quickly! I am still on induction and would have to continue teaching until christmas in order to complete 3 terms.
    I am torn as I realise that it would be a waste of my time at university to not complete induction but im just not sure if I can do it and at this moment in time I am quite sure that I will never return to the profession.
    So if I talk to my head is it a possibility that they would allow me to leave before the end of term?

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If you decide to leave early (summer) date your resignation 31st August so you get paid over summer hols x

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

You can negotiate early release with your school, I would think many would be willing to pursue this avenue rather than have a teacher going through the motions for a whole term (no offense - im not suggesting your quality would automatically be compromised but teaching is a profession that needs heart!)

If I were you I would speak to my NQT mentor x