1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT moving to Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kisforkaren, Jan 31, 2012.

1. I am planning to move to Australia on a working visa for a year. I will
    have become a NQT Scottish Secondary teacher in Modern Studies (only in
    Scottish curriculum) by then. My degree is in Geography and Politics
    but my PGDE is only in Modern Studies. I am hoping I can teach
    Geography/History but I am not sure how flexible Australia will be. I am
    doing a 140 TEFL course this summer in English. Can I apply for casual
    teaching posts in Australia? Where am I most likely to find work in this
    profession? Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Have you taught for a year post training? Whats state are you going to? As they'll all vary. x

3. Can you pass on the name of your friend's employer? I'd be dead chuffed with getting over $350/day for washing dishes! :D

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I can't remember the employer but she is working up in the mines. It is a LOT of hours though! 350 per day is the supply rate though. Does it actually work out as that per day if you are not supply. From memory the bottom of the pay scale is 55000 and a school year is around 195 days (i haven't looked up and could be wrong) this works out at 283 per day not 350.

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Before anyone goes rushing out to places like Port Headland, there is a catch. I was talking about this very subject with one of the student teachers at a school I was at last year. She was heading off to PH in the holidays to do a cleaning job where she would receive $2000 per week cash in hand. My nephew's girlfriend is at Uni and was looking for a job over the long break so I asked her about how one would go about getting such a job. She said that indeed the money was amazing but it was very difficult (well impossible actually) to find housing if you aren't employed on a contract by the mines. All housing is allocated to mining staff and unless you have a friend you can bunk with, then it is very difficult to make ends meet in those 'boom' towns.

6. With the greatest of respect, its not a very fair comparasion then is it? working your bottom off in the mines (and with the accomodation issues that brings) vs a cushty relief teaching job in a metro area. And in your post, you did say top of the payscale, not bottom, which would be around $350-400/day from what my friends are getting paid on relief rates.
    I'm sorry you didn't find it worked for you, but I do get tired of mis-information spread by people whom have a bit of an axe to grind (as you have by your own admission), one way or another.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sorry I didn't mean to say top of the payscale, my mistake. I actually wasn't suggesting that someone should PREFER to work in the mines it was merely as a back up if you were there and struggling to find work. I enjoyed my time in the school I worked in. Good students and supportive colleagues so I wouldn't say it didn't work out. My main point was to warn someone (as I wish I had been warned) about some of the pitfalls when/if you decide to leave. So that they have a balanced view of working there. Incidentally, for my friend accomodation was included so she didn't have to pay this while working.