1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

NQT money worries- thoughts and suggestions welcomed :)

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by SophieHill, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm an NQT and am really struggling with my finances as I am supporting two children on this salary. Any suggestions for ways to improve my suggestions ie by saving or earning more (are there extra things I could be asking about at school mainly) would be really, really gratefully received.

Sophie

2. Hi, I'm an NQT and am really struggling with my finances as I am supporting two children on this salary. Any suggestions for ways to improve my suggestions ie by saving or earning more (are there extra things I could be asking about at school mainly) would be really, really gratefully received.

Sophie

3. Schools offer paid lunchtime duties, so perhaps you could find out about this? I'd imagine you'd have to wait until Sept now though until the new rota is drawn up. Could you advertise locally offering private tuition? Do you have any teacher training text books you could sell on Amazon or Ebay? Have you told the tax office about your GTC membership, as this is tax deductable? And perhaps you could sign up for helping out at the summer school, if your school runs one. I've done this at three schools and have been paid around £25 ph, which is great given that I'm already getting holiday pay. If you get public transport to work, does your school offer season ticket loans?
    Hope some of these ideas help.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I have been stupid for so many years! I always thought that jobs that offered season ticket loans were offering sports tickets. I used to think it was weird. Thanks PETER, you taught me something new.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Apologies for lack of paras - safari doesn't do them ;P Tax code check, claim union fees and GTC - use quidco.com for all purchases - save tesco clubcard/ nectar/ boots/ shell/ texaco points - claim your teax free childcare allowance kucouchers.co.uk - go through your finances and check all direct debits/ expenses are needed - sell unwanted items on ebay, be surprised how much you can accrue in paypal! - try earning cash through toluna doing online surveys....