1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Misgivings

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Richard24601, Mar 9, 2018.

?

What should I do?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2018.
  1. Stay and run the risk of failing NQT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Find a school which fits

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Richard24601

Richard24601 New commenter

I qualified in Northern Ireland at the start of summer last year and I was very fortunate to take up post as an NQT in a school in England. I have been there for two terms but I fear my days in this school are coming to their end.
    After a meeting with the NQT tutor and a member of SLT, they informed me that they think if I spend a third term in this school that I will not pass. This news was a bit of a bombshell dropped on me as although I knew there were weaknesses which needed development I thought I was meeting the different points of the action plan which had been given to me in December and my own tutor assured me that I was making good progress. I am now very much at a cross roads where one side I stay where I am running the risk of failing while the other I take a chance into the deep unknown with the chance of starting afresh. The school I am at was ranked as 'inadequate' in the most recent OFSTED visit and I have felt for a while that it may not be the right school (Or indeed the right sector) for me but receiving this news yesterday was still a blow which I had not expected to be dealt.
    I have banked one successful term with the school and I have grown very fond of many of the children who I teach. I worry what will happen to some of these young people if I leave as they need the support in their life but the meeting yesterday has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Throughout all of the lessons which I have taught today, I have had a thought of "am I even good enough to be here" niggling at the back of my mind.
    Has anyone been in a similar situation to me? What should I do?
    Please help me as I have never felt as flat as I have felt since that fateful meeting yesterday afternoon.

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Following supply, I was asked to take on a class from an NQT about to be failed. I took the class on after Easter. She moved about a mile and a half down the road to one of my other supply schools. She loved it, they loved her. She passed and thrived. I was at the school for about another year and a half until they promised me a contract and then reneged just after the key May/June peak appointments time.
    So I would take the plunge and move on. She is one of three NQTs that I have worked with who have been "failed" moved on and done very well indeed.
    Some schools suit you, some don't, some are just run by managers who should not be in charge of a bus!

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Take hammie's excellent advice.

Richard24601 likes this.
  4. AudyR

AudyR New commenter

I moved on after being told that I wouldn't pass after 2 terms, I took a break because I didn't think teaching was for me. Three years later, I'm about to complete my NQT in a school that is right for me. I would recommend supply, so that you can assess the school and determine whether they will be able to adequately support you for your final term.

Richard24601 likes this.
  5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I have also been in a similar situation - twice!

I spent time on supply (and some time out of education), but I’m now working as a TA, observing and noting techniques used by teachers in lessons as well as doing my job so that I can hit the ground running when I find a post to complete my NQT. If the school isn’t the right fit or (as can be the case) someone at the school develops an agenda, the best thing is probably to quit and find a better school for you.

Richard24601 likes this.
  6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Many NQTs complete induction in a different school to the one they started in. Your first 2 assessments will be banked if you remain to the end of term so you would have only one term to complete. Consider leaving before the second term assessment in order to preserve 2 terms to complete. Do seek the advice of your Union before leaving particularly to negotiate the reference.