1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT mentor

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by grasshopper2000, Jul 16, 2019.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

How often do you meet with your mentor and how often are you observed? I'm just wondering how much support you get as I feel likeI have had a lack orlf support. Did you uave any sort of NQT training/induction etc?
    I have just completed my second term and I have metwith my mentor three times and been observed twice. That is literally all I have had. Is that normal or should I have had a bit more?

2. MissCleo

MissCleo New commenter

In my NQT year I had observations every half term and meetings with my mentor on a fortnightly basis. I didn't have any NQT training, but I did complete induction together with other new staff at the beginning of the school year.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

What we do:
    AHT in charge of new staff and staff welfare.
    Two days' induction before start of term, most of it with all new staff, some NQTs only.
    Weekly meetings with mentor, timetabled, minuted by NQT.
    If possible mentor in same Dept or nearby which allows informal chat as needed.
    Three or four all-NQT (some with new experienced staff as well) each term to introduce specific aspects of the school, e.g. report writing.
    One or two observations by mentor and one by someone else each term followed by debrief
    Observation by NQT of senior staff - generally one or two a term, chosen to illustrate specific points.

4. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

Wow that sounds good and very different from my experience Skeoch. We don't even have weekly staff meetings or any meetings with anyone in my phase. Everyone in my phase is too busy to talk so I literally see no one and get no support.

5. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Noone bothering you as not a bad thing. Use that time to self -learn, ask to observe others, read around the latest news in your subject.

Corvuscorax likes this.