1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT mental health

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by flickaz, Apr 5, 2011.

1. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I have some similar scars and can honestly say the kids (or staff) have never noticed. I guess it depends how many scars you have and how bad they are. Mine are white and quite raised and to me very visible but that could just be because I know they are there.

2. I have quite severe eczema that prevents me from wearing skirts/shorts etc and I didnt know that this service existed so thank you so much for putting it on here! I'm going to try and get a gp referal so I can see if they can help me.

3. the red cross service that is.....

4. the red cross service that is...

5. "I used to be poorly, and these are some scars from when I was ill"
    There you go, no need to lie, all completely true. My guess is that if you try to lie, there will be at least one kid who has seen similar scars on a mother/father/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/family friend and know the truth. In my experience it is much better keep control of the situation than build an elaborate story around it, which inevitably comes crashing down when you least expect it.

6. Hello Lizzie.
    Was/am in same position as you, with self harm scars on arm clearly visable. However, being male, during my PGCE year in a mainstream school a shirt and tie was the dress order so wasn't much of a problem.
    I did however read some (official?) 'advice' online somewhere (Not on TES) whilst preparing for my PGCE which said it was best to cover them up with long sleeves. Can't remember where I read this 'advice', it was in a stack of stuff I read in preparation for my expected grilling by the I.T.T. O.H. advisor!
    Now doing well on my NQT year at a special needs school and still wear shirts with the cuffs turned over, exposing very little of my forearm.
    In short, I have grown so accustomed to the scars being there, that I have to remind myself that in some new situations they may become 'visable to others' (like starting my NQT) ........So i dress accordingly, then after a while as I have done in the past, and will do at my new school just forget about them again...........and wear a short sleeved shirt etc. This strategy has worked for me with adults as it gives time for people to get to know me as a person, not as a stranger with scars.
    As for the kids, a couple did notice when I was wearing a tee-shirt for games, I just said I had an accident many years ago !!!!! They accepted it O.K.
    Perhaps the best advice I can give is re-post your question to the NQT forum here, marked for the attn. of James. He's the man!!!!
    Take care, and best wishes.
    Newbie.