1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT maternity rights

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kayw_2188, Apr 7, 2016.

1. kayw_2188

kayw_2188 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm about to start my final term as an NQT. I started at my current school on Sept 1st 2015 on a temp contract and was given a permanent contract on 1st October. My husband and myself would like to start trying for a baby as I have Endo so it could take us years to conceive, however I know we would not be able to afford this on Statutory Maternity Pay.

My question is, would I be entitled to full mat pay if I was to fall pregnant now? I have checked the burgundy book and NUT forum and as far as I can understand you need to have worked at the school for a year 11 weeks before the due date. Is this correct? The way ATL word it is confusing and suggests you need to work at the school 1 year+11 weeks before pregnancy.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

1 year + 11 weeks before due date. That's working for the employer, so it can include the temporary contract provided you were working direct for the employer, not via an agency.

Good luck!