1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Maternity cover dilemma

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Dance49, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hi. Just hoping for a few viewpoints on my situation. I registered with a couple of agencies and one rang me a couple of days after registering to offer a maternity post (primary), I have until Mon to decide whether to take it. It starts at Oct half term and I don't know when until. The concerns I have are that the first half term would not be able to count as induction and therefore I may not have NQT support, also if the regular post holder came back before Easter I could have done almost 3 half terms and not get any terms induction completed. I am not sure if by taking this I would be tied in and unable to apply for permanent positions for Jan start which was my plan? I have no good reasons not to take it, just niggly things like its a much larger school than I`d like, pushing it in terms of driving distance, inner city. Am I being ungrateful and should just snap this up, or hold out. I know jobs are very scarce. Thanks.

2. Hi. Just hoping for a few viewpoints on my situation. I registered with a couple of agencies and one rang me a couple of days after registering to offer a maternity post (primary), I have until Mon to decide whether to take it. It starts at Oct half term and I don't know when until. The concerns I have are that the first half term would not be able to count as induction and therefore I may not have NQT support, also if the regular post holder came back before Easter I could have done almost 3 half terms and not get any terms induction completed. I am not sure if by taking this I would be tied in and unable to apply for permanent positions for Jan start which was my plan? I have no good reasons not to take it, just niggly things like its a much larger school than I`d like, pushing it in terms of driving distance, inner city. Am I being ungrateful and should just snap this up, or hold out. I know jobs are very scarce. Thanks.

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You are mistaken!
    Induction terms do not have to correlate with school terms.
    An Induction term takes place if it known from the outset (or at a later date) that you will still be employed at the same point in the following term.
    As it is a maternity cover and the teacher leaves officially at the end of the half -term holiday, with an NQT replacement starting after the half-term holiday, the NQT should be registered for Induction with the LA and- assuming a f/t post- will complete an Induction term by February half term. Another Induction term would be completed at the May half term if the cover NQT teacher is still in post.
    If the job continues until the summer break, a final Induction term is not completed BUT the time served from May until July may still count towards Induction if the school employs the NQT in Sept to cover another member of staff (with Induction complete at October half term).
    If the work finishes in July, the last bit is 'wasted' for Induction purposes and the NQT needs the equivalent of a term's length elsewhere to complete Induction.
    Accept this job and get your Induction under way.
    As you will be on Induction, the work will not eat into your 16 month Supply Allowance as that only starts counting down from the first ever day of qualified short-term teaching that is not part of Induction.
    If you get 2 Induction terms 'banked' with this maternity cover and then don't get anotehr Induction term placement immediately, you can make use of your 16 month supply allowance to take daily or longer short-term placements until you can secure a final Induction post.
    Make sure that the school (not your agency) register you a.s.a.p as an NQT on Induction. You are still entiltled to the 10% timetable reduction for NQTs. The school might offer it in fortnightly chunks or other combinations-

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Also, check your contract for notice period. You could still apply for permanent positions and most schools would understand that you would want to accept one if it was offered to you so don't let that put you off. In the present employment situation, a job's a job and one that gets your induction under way needs to be seriously considered.

5. Hi there
    I am in a similar situation.
    I have just accepted a mat cover. However it starts next week and they expect the lady to come back just before the July holidays start.
    I need to induction. The school have contacted the LEA to request special permission for the first term to count for my induction, so just waiting to hear. Fingers crossed. Then my second term should count and then hopefully my third term will count. Really hope so.
    But tbh its a job. Not through an agency and with good T&C
    I went for one via an agency and the offer was awful, in terms of pay, no induction etc etc.
    What did u decide to do?

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

They probably won't allow you to be treated as though you started at the beginning of September. You should be registered from the day you do start and will then complete term 1 of Induction after working 3 weeks of the Spring term (so end of third week of January or thereabouts). You will then complete Induction term 2 after 3 weeks of the summer term.
    By the time you reach the end of term in July, they may be abl;e to accept that as enough service for the final Induction verdict as long as you don't have too many absences from work.
    They can make a final decision based on 29 days or fewer of missing days and you will already have missed 15 days of the school year when you start.
    If they can't sign you off in July, you can complete In sept 2012 if the school keeps you on to cover someone else or employes you permanently. Otherwise you'd leave with one term still to do on Induction.