1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Local Authorities

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Weaz1981, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Weaz1981

Weaz1981 New commenter

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice about my choices for my NQT year. I know the discussions on here are a bit more about issues but I think that there is no harm in asking.

Which local authorities around Glasgow tend to employee NQTs (I will be teaching Geography)?

Choices based on placement advice are:

1. Glasgow City Council
    2. West Dunbartonshire Council
    3. East Dunbartonshire Council
    4. East Renfrewshire Council
    5. North Lanarkshire Council
    Does anyone think I have made a mistake?

Thanks

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Do you mean your choices for your probation year? Councils employ probationers where there are staff shortages.

3. Weaz1981

Weaz1981 New commenter

Yes. Thanks for the reply. There seemed to be a bit of a debate in the staff room for instance I was told Refrewshire are really unlikely to hire them/us.

We have until 19/02 to decide on our five choices.

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Your choices are fine. You will get probation in one of those cooncils.
    Who knows, if you're not disillusioned, demotivated and burnt out by the end of probation year you may very well be offered a permanent post at the end of it . . .

5. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Depends on where you live, how far you'd ideally like to travel and they type of schools you want to work in. Glasgow typically has big schools with 1000+ pupils common, in some of the other authorities they can be a wee bit smaller. Glasgow is all faculties as well - it might not be great for you if you get a Historian overseeing your probation.

Also it can take best part of an hour to go from north to south Glasgow every day at peak time. You can go north (to Stirling/Falkirk area) or south (towards Ayrshire) in much the same time

6. Weaz1981

Weaz1981 New commenter

Cheers Big Jimmy - I think limiting myself from this forum will go a long way to avoiding being disillusioned!

Thanks Effinbankers, def worried about the whole faculty thing as I didn't experience that set-up in my first placements and the Geo PT is the head of faculty for my next one.

I have heard the Glasgow Perm-supply is a good scheme to get on if you can't get a perm post straight away..I guess I'm just wishing my uni time away by posting here.

7. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Why not try Moray; better environment; more chance of a permanent job, and if they raise the Council Tax, they might even be able to pay you.

8. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

I would recommend South Lanarkshire to any newly qualified teacher. I worked in South Lan for a bit although spent the bulk of my career elsewhere but in my experience, and I reckon opinion is still the same, South Lan always had the absolute best programme for probationers.

Got ****** all else right but credit for small mercies.