1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT leaving next Christmas

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by electro-web, Mar 12, 2012.

1. electro-web

electro-web New commenter

Hi

I'm coming toward the end of my NQT year. It's been tough and the school know there've been times I've wanted to quit.

I always knew that I'd do my NQT then rethink and my wife and I have decided to take our chances abroad. There's a good chance that I'll still use my quals which is why I decided to finish the year.

However, money has become a bit of an issue and we might not be able to go as planned in August - we're waiting for a few thousand to come through, which could be any time but is later than we though. If we can't go, I'll still need a job here. So I have the dilemma of whether to quit now and allow the school to take someone on from September, or do one more term and finish at Christmas. Here's my thinking:

1. If I'm still employed in September, I qualify for the £5000 Golden Hello.
    2. But it delays our trip so that even if we wanted to, we couldn't go in summer. Wife is desperate to leave and I've had a tough year, hanging on leaving in July.
    3. Leaving at Christmas feels quite ******, my tutor group would get someone new and all my classes would have to change teachers.
    4. The school wouldn't get the pick of new staff like that would during this summer term.
    5. Taking £5000 then running also seems a bit **** of me.
    6. The school have been really, really good to me on the whole.

So, I don't know what to do. Is it really bad of me to use them until Christmas to take the £5000?

2. electro-web

Hi

I'm coming toward the end of my NQT year. It's been tough and the school know there've been times I've wanted to quit.

I always knew that I'd do my NQT then rethink and my wife and I have decided to take our chances abroad. There's a good chance that I'll still use my quals which is why I decided to finish the year.

However, money has become a bit of an issue and we might not be able to go as planned in August - we're waiting for a few thousand to come through, which could be any time but is later than we though. If we can't go, I'll still need a job here. So I have the dilemma of whether to quit now and allow the school to take someone on from September, or do one more term and finish at Christmas. Here's my thinking:

1. If I'm still employed in September, I qualify for the £5000 Golden Hello.
    2. But it delays our trip so that even if we wanted to, we couldn't go in summer. Wife is desperate to leave and I've had a tough year, hanging on leaving in July.
    3. Leaving at Christmas feels quite ******, my tutor group would get someone new and all my classes would have to change teachers.
    4. The school wouldn't get the pick of new staff like that would during this summer term.
    5. Taking £5000 then running also seems a bit **** of me.
    6. The school have been really, really good to me on the whole.

So, I don't know what to do. Is it really bad of me to use them until Christmas to take the £5000?

3. Take the money and run.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nope! Lots of people leave at Christmas, it isn't a big deal.

Stop thinking about school and right or wrong for them. Do what is in your own best interests, school will be fine with or without you.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Look after yourself and your family and so what is right for you and them. Everyone is replaceable and the school will cope :)

6. I agree.
    Take the money - you've "earned" it - a few months delayed but in a better position financially!

7. electro-web

Thanks, all. I've often found myself trying to be loyal to an employer only to realise they don't miss me at all!

I'm annoyed about the Golden Hello, as they initially advertised it as "when you complete your training", when in fact it's "when you start a new term after finishing NQT" which is something else entirely.

I just now have to see if I'm mentally able to do it. The Autumn term was so hard this year!

8. The Autumn term is a lot easier the second time round. You've been in the school a year already so the pupils will know you and respond to you differently. You'll be more confident - even if you don't feel it. To be honest, I think you'll feel better if you do another term in a familiar place than if you packed up and tried to start something new somewhere new.

9. It is so sad to hear so many NQTs having an awful time of it! What is happening out there in schools!? If you can grin and bear it, the 5 grand would be good for your move and you may look back when things are tough financially and regret not doing it. Autumn term is always horrid but like the previous poster said it gets easier with more experience. Good Luck.

10. Hold on for the extra term, take the money and leave at christmas.
    The money would make a huge difference for most people when travelling and might mean that you could travel longer. besides who wants to travel to exotic places in Aug/summer? Not good.
    Most seasoned travellers leave at christmas to go travelling....