1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT LEAVING - NEGOTIATE PAY

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pandanaz, May 26, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am currently leaving my school before completing the last term of my NQT. I failed the first 2 terms - so that I can complete my NQT somewhere else. I know that the school is only allowed to pay you up until the day you leave but the head teacher said she would pay me till June, I negioiated again, and he said that I could be paid till July. Yesterday, he said that he could not pay me until July because if he did - it would be as if my NQT was continuing and that the borough would ask for any paperwork. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would like to fight it - as I know I will not get much work in this sector at least until September.
    Please help!
    Pandanaz

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrm.. Why should the school pay you when you aren't working there? I'd be of the thinking that you get paid until the day you stop working. The school need to pay someone else to do the job for June and July, they probably cannot afford to pay you as well.

It is a bit of a cheek to say " I'm leaving at the end of May, but please keep paying me until the end of August."

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I suppose the alternative is that you ask to change your resignation date tomorrow and continue to work at your school until the summer and then you will be paid until the end of August. Of course then you run the risk of failing your NQT year completely and never being able to teach in a state school again.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I worked until the last day of term and they didn't send my final paperwork off. My resignation was then effective from August 31st and I was paid until then.
    I think if you're leaving this half term though then paying you an additional month is more than fair. x

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Much as I am sympathetic, it isn't the school's role to keep paying you when you no longer work for them because you have financial difficulties. The school cannot possibly be expected to pay you after you have resigned. If you want to be paid until the end of July, then you need to work until the end of July. Which, yes, does mean you are still employed and therefore on induction.