1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT leaving after December is it possible?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sadeeka83, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hi, I am just having a terrible first year. Not because of the school so much but more because of my own situation. My class is excellent, my teaching is rated at very good in every observation and my TA is cool but the other person I work with is just.......I dont even have words to describe and I feel she really brings me down. The other teachers at school could not care less whether I or any other NQT exsist hence all 3 of the NQT's keep to themselves! (I know this does not sound as bad as some of the horror stories I have heard) Mainly I am having a horrible time at home with personal issues with the "husband". I feel I need to take this time out and continue next year. Is this possible? I know medical grounds is the main reason people get out, but could I leave and continue at another school? Are there many people out there that get a job after leaving in NQT year?

2. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Stick with it - ignore the other person, rely on your TA and sort out the husband problem. If you leave now you may find it hard to get another job. If your relationship fails you may need the job. Plus a school which is good and your teaching is rated very good!
    It's hard - been there and done that. It will get better.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Stay but look around for other posts. Unless you can risk being without an income for a long time, don't leave without another post to go to.

Ignore your colleague, I have a very similar year team one. Just find other people who are nice and who are good to you, they will exist just it is hard to find them when you are new.

Life gets better the longer you are in a school, generally speaking.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Generally you will be in a stronger position once induction has been completed as you are not restricted to securing an induction post.NQT posts are hard to find in many places at the moment and a Head would have to be clear about your reasons for leaving mid induction and that it would not affect your employment.

5. If you can stay the course and complete induction it would be the best thing to do as this opens many more doors later and allows you to pick and choose your ideal job (yes I do know that the jobs scene is not all rosey) without having to worry about meeting induction. That said if you resign now you would leave at Easter and have two terms, if you have left, you should have one term under your belt. Work and Home are never unconnected, but it is possible to disconnect and keep the two apart, if you can do this it can help both aspects of your life.
    James