1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Job searches

Discussion in 'Personal' started by veni_vidi, Nov 25, 2011.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I'm in your boat too. Not much fun is it.
    Have tried following advice from here, but still no interview. I'll carry on applying until summer, and if haven't found anything by then will try something else...like...hmm...temping...again.

2. Thanks for the replies. 56%? Well, looke like the uni I went to weren't being totally honest with their 100% record of NQTs finding jobs. Like you, I have followed advice on here and had no luck. I guess the best thing to do it keep on, or try to find something else. For those of you still looking, good luck!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You see that's the big problem, everyone falling for the idea that's there's a teacher shortage-there isn't -in fact it's a surplus.
    But colleges can't simply close down depts, so they continue training students, who get into debt, many of whom can't find jobs some even 3 years after qualifying.
    A lot depends where you live and what your stage/subject is. Last year some schools were having 200 applications per job, so next year might be up on that.
    Not what many of you wanted to hear but somebody's got to be realistic about the situation.

4. Does that look bad on an application though? If you spend so long looking for a job do some schools look and wonder why? I came into teaching quite late (32), with no A-levels in my area, so I also have that going against me too, plus my background is admin, so even that isn't related to my degree...I am begining to see why I haven't found a job yet!

5. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Similar to me Hoggoblin, we probably just don't look that good on paper compared to others, and if we can't even get an interview...
    Anyway, good luck (that's what we need now, ha)!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

They may not be teaching jobs [​IMG] its all about how you say something when it comes to advertising. (Supply could also be classed as a job, anything but being on Jobseekers).
    Just keep cracking at the applications, see if there are any after school clubs you could do, work in colleges/unis? Maybe museums or galleries too. Can all look good on CV if you can get them x