1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Job Search

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sarah_notschool, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Hello,
    I received my QTS letter yesterday after doing Teacher Training part time for two years. I thought I would be celebrating but I have no job for September. I don't know if this is due to the Covid-19 situation or whether this is usual for this time of year. I am now really worried that I won't be able to carry on with teaching. I have applied to nine schools and had three interviews. I was unsuccessful as I was not experienced enough. I have found this hard as I am a 41 year old woman and have worked with excluded children in a non-teaching role for twenty years. I suppose I am just seeking reassurance that jobs will come up between now and September? Thank you in advance.

2. rickleton

rickleton New commenter

I'm in a similar position, 36 and just finishing my PGCE. I've been told I present well, answered all questions well but the school has decided to go with a more experienced candidate. It's frustrating. My tutor said there are normally lots of jobs for science positions after Easter but there has been hardly anything. If nothing comes through though my back up plan is to work in supply for a time to get that experience. Maybe that could be an option for you too?

3. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

It does beg the question why any of these schools are interviewing NQT's when they have no intention of hiring them. I experienced the same prior to finishing my PGCE. The feedback I got was immensely positive, and I was outright told if it wasn't for the fact I was less experienced then I would have got the job. Why bother inviting me to interview in the first place?!

Anyway, the fact of the matter is you just need to keep trying and not give up. You'll probably find that a lot of experienced teachers are jumping ship to new schools at the moment because of the experiences they've had with COVID, but this surge will soon decline and employers will once again be looking for the cheaper option!

Keep your chin up, you've got this guys!

4. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

Sign up with supply agencies as well (ones that are not with umbrella companies) that helped me get an nqt job

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The answer is, of course, that they are giving you a reason that can’t be disproved.

Yes, they knew that you didn’t have much experience, but shortlisted you because your application looked promising. Well done for that, by the way! But in the interview another candidate outperformed and was appointed, and they gave you the easiest excuse. “The appointee had more experience”.

We don’t always tell the truth In feedback, I’m afraid. There was one candidate who had such poor personal hygiene that we rushed the interview and then had a break while we aired the room. Do you think I rang him and said “We didn’t appoint you because we thought we could never bear the stink”? No, I chickened out. :)

Incidentally, my view is always that the Head should ring to give the bad news; Heads get paid more, so should do the unpleasant jobs. The good news of ringing the successful applicant should be done by the Head of Department or whoever is going to be working with the new appointee, to start their professional relationship on a positive note.

if you’ve sent in an application, start preparing immediately for the interview, by the way. Don’t wait until you learn you’ve got one, it may be very short notice. You may find THIS helpful.

Best of luck. Remember that some people will have resigned on 31 May, so there will be further jobs going.

I actually appointed one of the best NQTs ever on Results Day in August!

Keep safe, everyone

SandySimmonds likes this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I personally don't think 9 applications is very many. And also, to get an interview on 33% of your applications is better than I have ever managed. And the people you were up against this time now have a job, so won't be competing against you next time.

Keep going. I have never been out of work for single day but made many more applications than 9 to land each job.

43Meadows likes this.