1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT job offered in placement, without interview, 1 year contract

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by faikad, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi James

This is something that has been niggling away at me more months.

In 2009/10 I did my PGCE and was offered a job at my second placement, since a FT staff was leaving in the department. I was extremely happy and took it up almost immediately. The job was advertised in a small paper, where only one person applied, but was then rejected due to poor application and I was then told that the job was mine for the taking. I was offered a PT post but was not interviewed for the job and my contract was also only for 1 yr. I was told that I was to be interviewed on x day, but when I turned up, it was not an interview, just a handover session with the HOD. I questioned what would happen after 1 yr and I was assured that a senior member of the dept would be retiring and I would easily be able to step into his shoes....

However, this is nothing like what happened.

At the end of the yr, the senior staff member did leave, taking up redundancy, a FT post did come up, but this post was advertised on TES among other media. From ad to interview the process was very quick and within 2 weeks I found myself in the principals office for an interview. Unbeknown to me, among the interviewees was a subject consultant, who worked for the city council, he was also the best friend of another staff member in the dept and was well known amongst the dept and eventually this was the person who was appointed.

My query is, that I was mislead into taking up the post and being assured of a post for the following years when it seemed they clearly had other plans in mind and used me to teach the surplus classes until they were sure that this consultant would be ready to take up job with them the following year.

Also, at this school, I was one of 3 PT NQTs. They were all interviewed before being appointed and hence when their posts were advertised for permanent posts, the jobs were theirs without any re-advertising, and reason given to me was becasue they were interviewed for their posts, whereas I was not !!

I feel completely deceived and cheated. Am I wrong in feeling this? Am I over-reacting or was the schools behaviour legit and acceptable?

2. Hi James

This is something that has been niggling away at me more months.

In 2009/10 I did my PGCE and was offered a job at my second placement, since a FT staff was leaving in the department. I was extremely happy and took it up almost immediately. The job was advertised in a small paper, where only one person applied, but was then rejected due to poor application and I was then told that the job was mine for the taking. I was offered a PT post but was not interviewed for the job and my contract was also only for 1 yr. I was told that I was to be interviewed on x day, but when I turned up, it was not an interview, just a handover session with the HOD. I questioned what would happen after 1 yr and I was assured that a senior member of the dept would be retiring and I would easily be able to step into his shoes....

However, this is nothing like what happened.

At the end of the yr, the senior staff member did leave, taking up redundancy, a FT post did come up, but this post was advertised on TES among other media. From ad to interview the process was very quick and within 2 weeks I found myself in the principals office for an interview. Unbeknown to me, among the interviewees was a subject consultant, who worked for the city council, he was also the best friend of another staff member in the dept and was well known amongst the dept and eventually this was the person who was appointed.

My query is, that I was mislead into taking up the post and being assured of a post for the following years when it seemed they clearly had other plans in mind and used me to teach the surplus classes until they were sure that this consultant would be ready to take up job with them the following year.

Also, at this school, I was one of 3 PT NQTs. They were all interviewed before being appointed and hence when their posts were advertised for permanent posts, the jobs were theirs without any re-advertising, and reason given to me was becasue they were interviewed for their posts, whereas I was not !!

I feel completely deceived and cheated. Am I wrong in feeling this? Am I over-reacting or was the schools behaviour legit and acceptable?

3. Yes. It's the sort of **** which happens, sadly. Totally above board. If you are going into the profession, lose the romance straight away. It's a dog eat dog world in there.

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

It sounds like when you were offered the 1 year contract, they did not advertise properly and therefore it meant there was no chance of you being interviewed properly due to being the only acceptable candidate. If they had advertised on TES they might have had a much larger response and you might not have got the job in the first place.

It is unfair that they promised you a permanent contract and that the person who got the job has links with the school.

I find it odd that the others in your position were instantly made permanent but you were not. It could be that they did not feel you fitted in at the school or it could be that they had this other person in mind all along. But you mentioned the other NQTs were interviewed, did they go up against other people? It could be that they were genuinely the chosen candidates for the job against other applicants where as with you, there was a not a field of candidates being interviewed.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Whichever way you look at it, your appointment was temporary and the school were straightforward about this. Unfortunately, you can't be promised a job for the future. Well, you can but it's meaningless because applicant and/or employer can change their minds. As a senior member of staff resigned, it seems reasonable to replace them with someone experienced. Whoever 'assured' you that the job would be, or, perhaps, only could be yours was either being kind, or dishonest or was just expressing an opinion. It's horrible when something like this happens, especially when you have to carry on working there while someone else does the job you had or wanted but, as said, it does happen.