1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT job interview question !!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BestIcanbe, Feb 14, 2011.

1. A really great picture is often a nice way to start off a session/topic....but if you want them to independently read what comes next make sure they can apply their phonics. They wont be able to read 'leaf' and when you're being observed that will probably be noticed.

Good luck!

2. Gosh, this is a really hard one! What a strange thing to give for an interview.
    There is a lovley story called Leaf Man (not sure where from, but I have read it once before) where a man is made of leaves - it is really sweet. If you could get hold of it maybe you could link it to that?
    Or possibly get the children to come up with the ideas as to what else it could be used as; maybe have picture cards of some animals/objects and see if they can come up with ideas as to what the leaf could be used for (i.e. a shelter for an animal) Depending on the answers you get you could get the children to maybe draw a picture of what it could be and label/write a sentence about it (link in your phonics and writing)
    You could take someleaves and make up a story 'this morning on my way to school I found this special....' (Make it something else) then when they say its not that it is a leaf - go along with the idea that it isnta leaf - keep playing at your story and soon the children will take on board your idea - lots of opps for language development.
    Good luck with it, hope you do ok. Let us know how you get on.

3. Sad as I am...I was thinking about this overnight...
    Rolling with the it's not a leaf...go on to say..."it's also a..."
    *part of natures rainbow: show other pics of different coloured leaves, scenes, rocks, insects etc.
    *a house: show insects living on there.
    *lunch: show a caterpillar munching on one.
    *etc. etc.

Whichever you go with there are opportunities for speaking and listening, KUW (go out on a colour hunt in the outside area), drama, numeracy (how many things could the leaf be? how many colours did we find? how many bugs are on the leaf?)

Might help, but if I didn't post back I would have carried on thinking about it!
    Good luck again :0)