1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Job Interview Brief

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bh02aq, Mar 18, 2018.

1. bh02aq

bh02aq New commenter

Hello, I am currently an NQT looking for my first teaching position. I finished my PGCE program on a slightly delayed timescale in December 2017 and have been doing supply work since then as I look for my first teaching post. I have been invited in for an interview with a school, and I am really struggling with the brief they have provided for me in regards to my lesson observation.

They have told me the children will be year3/year4 children working at age related expectations and the observations will be 30 minutes and asked me to :

Select a book of your choice and prepare to teach a guided reading lesson with the learning objective - I can tell from what I have read how a character is feeling and thinking and why they take an action.

I have no experience with year 3/4 guided reading and because I am not currently in a full time school due to day-to-day supply I am really struggling to find an age expected book that I can use to talk about the objective given to me in the brief. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice or guidance for possible books I can use to meet this brief for my observation.

2. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

Why don't you volunteer on a day you're not working in your local school Year 3 /4?

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

If they are working at age related expectations, then you can pretty much choose any book aimed at 7-8yo (e.g. as a starting point). Pick one you have some knowledge of as it'll make developing a lesson around the lo easier as you'll know where in the book to focus on. Remind yourself of the National Curriculum around expectations when you plan your lesson.

4. bh02aq

bh02aq New commenter

My interview is this coming Thursday so I sadly do not have the time for this :/

5. bh02aq

bh02aq New commenter

Thank you so much for this, but I seem to be finding that the books aimed at 7-8yo do not have much focus on feelings/thoughts and how this links to the actions. This is the area of the brief I am now struggling with more, I am finding it hard to fit this into a guided reading plan as many of the books I am familiar with only deal with feelings and actions across one/two pages and I am not sure how to fit that into a whole 30 minute lesson observation :/

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You'll struggle to find anything explicit. You/the students are looking for clues in how the description of the character and their actions which implies why they do something or how they are feeling. It's a hard thing for new readers to be able to do.

Imagine the text says
    "Steve saw the football and smiled. He looked around carefully, and saw no one. Slowly he moved forward can carefully picked the ball up, before silently slipping it into his bag." Children will probably say that Steve took the football and put it in his bag, but his actions tell us more about how he may have been feeling and possible reasons for his actions.

I'm sure you have a Roald Dahl book around. They will have lots of examples you can use in them.