1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT job hunting

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by KSmiling, Aug 11, 2020.

1. KSmiling

KSmiling New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    Are any NQTs our there still job hunting? If so have you been told some schools may not be hiring until Jan 2021?

2. profillffug

profillffug New commenter

There are still plenty of jobs being advertised so I would imagine NQTs could find a school with a position. Particularly if they looked at international schools.

3. Hellfyre

Hellfyre New commenter

I still am.
    I've signed up to an agency in the meantime.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

There may also be schools offering short term "intervention/catch up" type posts. Not ideal for an NQT maybe, but could fill a gap until Jan

5. KSmiling

KSmiling New commenter

Hi There,
    Many thanks for your replies. I live in Lincolnshire and am considering moving to Yorkshire or London as jobs as have seen few vacancies in my area. I teach English but also thinking about offering art and Geography as I have A levels in these subjects. Does anyone know whether I have to do additional training to offer these subjects?

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You don't have to have any additional training, but if you were applying for an art or geography post, you would have to sell yourself as better than candidates who have some training/experience in teaching the subject. However saying that you are also happy to teach some KS3 art/geography might be an advantage if it turns out the school needs less than full-time hours in English but is also a bit short in art/geography.

7. debrawadsley

debrawadsley New commenter

Hi - I am surprised you say this as there are lots of teaching posts for English In Lincolnshire (especially NE Lincs). Register with more than one agency ASAP. I’m sure you won’t need to relocate. I’m an MFL teacher in the county and there’s not much happening yet. This coming week (24 Aug) should see some movement.

8. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

What's the teaching posts for English like in the North West? It seems to be extremely quiet and haven't seen anything.