1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT job application advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jazwat, Mar 8, 2018.

1. jazwat

jazwat New commenter

Hello, I was wondering whether I might be able to seek advice about job applications. I am having a major panic because a number of people on my primary PGCE course at uni have started getting jobs. However, I will be applying for jobs the opposite end of the country to my uni and so far I have seen very few jobs advertised. Most are either part-time, or for experienced teachers (not NQT's). There are probably a quarter of the number of job advertisements compared with my university catchment. I was thinking whether it was worth sending a carefully worded letter, CV and personal statement to schools in the hope that they may have a job vacancy coming up (each personal statement and letter tailored to that school). Perhaps I will then be able to make myself known to them in case a vacancy may arise. Is this wise? Or not? I am aware that schools talk and I am terrified of making a bad name for myself by appearing pushy or presumptuous. I will ensure not to sound presumptuous and I will make it clear in my letter that I do not expect anything. I am slowing becoming increasingly panicked - I don't know what to do!

Thank you,
    A very worried primary PGCE student

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Please don't worry! There will be plenty of jobs around may when people give their notice for September starts. Concentrate now on your course and placement and you will find a job in the area you want soon. If you don't you may have to look further afield or do some supply. Either way, don't worry you've got plenty of time!

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

You will be at an advantage later in the year as you do not have to resign from a job, whereas people already in post will have to do that. Keep looking and use the time to produce a skeleton job application letter which you can then adapt to meet the specific requirements of each school.

4. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Don’t worry, it’s still early. I didn’t get a job until May as an NQT.

I got my 2nd job by sending CVs to every school in the area that I wanted to move to as jobs doing what I was after in the age group I wanted just didn’t turn up. I was invited to 4 interviews, went to 2 and accepted the 2nd. I stayed there for 9 years...

Go for it, what have you got to lose?

5. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Oh I remember the panic during my PGCE course when students started getting jobs! Your note just brought that all back. Don't worry - most primary September jobs are not yet advertised. Focus on your course for the time being.

6. ExplorePrimary

ExplorePrimary New commenter

I remember this well, please don't worry! I know someone who got their job on the last day of term. Most jobs are not advertised until after Easter so I'm sure there will be more in April. Make sure you have a look on council websites and TES. One of my friends got their job through a supply agency - even though they'd never done supply, they just saw it advertised on their website! I got my post in May when I was an NQT.

As for sending a letter around, I'm not confident on what schools might think but I don't think it would hurt. You could hand deliver to make a lasting impression. It will either go in the bin or it might just leave you as first in mind if heads need to advertise a post.